Noise charges in railway infrastructure: A pricing schedule based on the marginal cost principle
In order to mitigate the negative effects of transportation and to achieve a competitive transport sector, infrastructure charges in the European Union should be based on short-run marginal costs. This paper shows that railway-noise charges can be estimated using already obtained knowledge of monetary and acoustical noise evaluation. Most European countries have standardized calculation methods for total noise level, which can be used to estimate the marginal acoustical effect.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rothengatter, Werner, 2003. "How good is first best? Marginal cost and other pricing principles for user charging in transport," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 121-130, April.
- Nijland, H. A. & Van Kempen, E. E. M. M. & Van Wee, G. P. & Jabben, J., 2003. "Costs and benefits of noise abatement measures," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 131-140, April.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Lampi, Elina & Martinsson, Peter, 2004.
"Measuring marginal values of noise disturbance from air traffic: Does the time of the day matter?,"
Working Papers in Economics
125, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Lampi, Elina & Martinsson, Peter, 2004. "Measuring marginal values of noise disturbance from air traffic: Does the time of the day matter?," Umeå Economic Studies 627, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Jon P. Nelson, 2004. "Meta-Analysis of Airport Noise and Hedonic Property Values," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Chris Nash, 2005. "Rail Infrastructure Charges in Europe," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 39(3), pages 259-278, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)