Noise charges in railway infrastructure: A pricing schedule based on the marginal cost principle
In order to mitigate the negative effects of transportation and to achieve a competitive transport sector, infrastructure charges in the European Union should be based on short-run marginal costs. This paper shows that railway-noise charges can be estimated using already obtained knowledge of monetary and acoustical noise evaluation. Most European countries have standardized calculation methods for total noise level, which can be used to estimate the marginal acoustical effect.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jon P. Nelson, 2004. "Meta-Analysis of Airport Noise and Hedonic Property Values," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Lampi, Elina & Martinsson, Peter, 2004.
"Measuring marginal values of noise disturbance from air traffic: Does the time of the day matter?,"
Umeå Economic Studies
627, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Lampi, Elina & Martinsson, Peter, 2004. "Measuring marginal values of noise disturbance from air traffic: Does the time of the day matter?," Working Papers in Economics 125, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Nijland, H. A. & Van Kempen, E. E. M. M. & Van Wee, G. P. & Jabben, J., 2003. "Costs and benefits of noise abatement measures," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 131-140, April.
- Rothengatter, Werner, 2003. "How good is first best? Marginal cost and other pricing principles for user charging in transport," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 121-130, April.
- Chris Nash, 2005. "Rail Infrastructure Charges in Europe," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 39(3), pages 259-278, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:14:y:2007:i:3:p:204-213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.