Airport noise regulation, airline service quality, and social welfare
This paper explores the impact of airport noise regulation on airline service quality and airfares. It also characterizes the socially optimal stringency of noise limits, taking both noise damage and the various costs borne by airlines and their passengers into account. The analysis also investigates the effect of noise taxes, as well as the optimal level of such taxes. Along with the companion paper by [Girvin, R., 2006a. Airport noise regulation, airline service quality, and social welfare: The monopoly case. Unpublished paper, Program in Transportation Science, UC, Irvine], this work represents the first complete theoretical investigation into the economics of airport noise regulation using a model where the interests of the key relevant stakeholders are captured.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 42 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morrison, Steven A., 1987. "The equity and efficiency of runway pricing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 45-60, October.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2002.
"Network Structure and Airline Scheduling,"
02-0112, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Zhang, Yimin, 1990. "Airport pricing : Congestion tolls, lumpy investment, and cost recovery," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 353-374, December.
- McMillen, Daniel P., 2004. "Airport expansions and property values: the case of Chicago O'Hare Airport," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 627-640, May.
- Jan Brueckner & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2007. "Airline Schedule Competition," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 161-177, May.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2003. "Airport charges and capacity expansion: effects of concessions and privatization," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 54-75, January.
- Schipper, Youdi & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 2003. "Airline deregulation and external costs: a welfare analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 699-718, September.
- Schipper, Youdi & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 1998. "Why do aircraft noise value estimates differ? A meta-analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 117-124.
- Morrison, Steven A & Winston, Clifford & Watson, Tara, 1999. "Fundamental Flaws of Social Regulation: The Case of Airplane Noise," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(2), pages 723-43, October.
- Jon P. Nelson, 2004. "Meta-Analysis of Airport Noise and Hedonic Property Values," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 1-27, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:42:y:2008:i:1:p:19-37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.