Airport noise regulation, airline service quality, and social welfare
This paper explores the impact of airport noise regulation on airline service quality and airfares. It also characterizes the socially optimal stringency of noise limits, taking both noise damage and the various costs borne by airlines and their passengers into account. The analysis also investigates the effect of noise taxes, as well as the optimal level of such taxes. Along with the companion paper by [Girvin, R., 2006a. Airport noise regulation, airline service quality, and social welfare: The monopoly case. Unpublished paper, Program in Transportation Science, UC, Irvine], this work represents the first complete theoretical investigation into the economics of airport noise regulation using a model where the interests of the key relevant stakeholders are captured.
Volume (Year): 42 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McMillen, Daniel P., 2004. "Airport expansions and property values: the case of Chicago O'Hare Airport," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 627-640, May.
- Schipper, Youdi & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 1998. "Why do aircraft noise value estimates differ? A meta-analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 117-124.
- Schipper, Youdi & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 2003. "Airline deregulation and external costs: a welfare analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 699-718, September.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2003. "Airport charges and capacity expansion: effects of concessions and privatization," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 54-75, January.
- Morrison, Steven A & Winston, Clifford & Watson, Tara, 1999. "Fundamental Flaws of Social Regulation: The Case of Airplane Noise," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(2), pages 723-43, October.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2002.
"Network Structure and Airline Scheduling,"
02-0112, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Morrison, Steven A., 1987. "The equity and efficiency of runway pricing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 45-60, October.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Zhang, Yimin, 1990. "Airport pricing : Congestion tolls, lumpy investment, and cost recovery," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 353-374, December.
- Jon P. Nelson, 2004. "Meta-Analysis of Airport Noise and Hedonic Property Values," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Jan Brueckner & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2007. "Airline Schedule Competition," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 161-177, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:42:y:2008:i:1:p:19-37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.