Airline deregulation and external costs: a welfare analysis
The 'market internal' effects of airline deregulation have amply been analysed in the literature. The economic evaluation of this policy change has generally shown favourable outcomes in terms of consumer welfare. These welfare effects may be termed market internal effects, as they reflect the welfare consequences of transactions that take place in the market. However, aviation typically affects welfare through both market internal and external effects: these external effects usually take the form of external costs resulting from aircraft noise, emission of pollutants and accidents. This is true for both regulated and deregulated markets, but the importance of the external costs relative to the welfare total is likely to differ between regulatory regimes. This article seeks to analyze how the presence of external costs affects the welfare effect of the liberalization of airline markets. As the size of external costs in an airline market is largely determined by the number of landings and take-offs, a spatial competition model that explicitly determines the frequency choice by airlines in symmetric equilibria is the basis of the analysis.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 37 (2003)
Issue (Month): 8 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Youdi Schipper & Piet Rietveld & Peter Nijkamp, 2002. "European Airline Reform: An Empirical Welfare Analysis," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 36(2), pages 189-209, May.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F, 1987. "Competition and Collusion in the American Automobile Industry: The 1955 Price War," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 457-82, June.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Norman, Victor D & Strandenes, Siri Pettersen, 1990.
"Deregulation of Scandinavian Airlines: A Case Study of the Oslo-Stockholm Route,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
403, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Victor D. Norman & Siri Strandenes, 1994. "Deregulation of Scandinavian Airlines: A Case Study of the Oslo-Stockholm Route," NBER Chapters, in: Empirical Studies of Strategic Trade Policy, pages 85-100 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Norman, V.D. & Strandenes, S.P., 1990. "Deregulation Of Scandinavian Airlines - A Case Study Of The Oslo-Stockholm Route," Papers 04-90, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Raubitschek, Ruth S, 1987. "A Model of Product Proliferation with Multiproduct Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(3), pages 269-79, March.
- Giovanni Nero, 1998. "Spatial multiproduct pricing: empirical evidence on intra-European duopoly airline markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(4), pages 465-475.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1989. "Symmetric equilibrium existence and optimality in differentiated product markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 178-194, February.
- Panzar, John C, 1979. "Equilibrium and Welfare in Unregulated Airline Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 92-95, May.
- Norman, G. & Thisse, J.-F., .
"Product variety and welfare under tough and soft pricing regimes,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1201, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Norman, George & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996. "Product Variety and Welfare under Tough and Soft Pricing Regimes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 76-91, January.
- Morrison, Steven A & Winston, Clifford, 1990. "The Dynamics of Airline Pricing and Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 389-93, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:37:y:2003:i:8:p:699-718. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.