Measuring Strategic Firm Interaction in Product-Quality Choices: The Case of Airline Flight Frequency
This paper investigates strategic interaction among airlines in product-quality choices. Using an instrumental variables approach, the paper estimates flight-frequency reaction functions, which relate an airline’s frequency on a route to its own characteristics and to the frequencies of competing airlines. A positive reaction function slope is found in some cases, indicating the presence of strategic interaction in the choice of frequencies. The paper also asks whether multimarket contact generates mutual forbearance in frequency competition, finding no evidence for such an effect.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2009.
"Scheduled Service Versus Personal Transportation: The Role of Distance,"
2072/15846, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2010. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: The role of distance," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 60-72, January.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2008. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers XREAP2008-13, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2008.
- Volodymir BilotKach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2009. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers 2009-10, FEDEA.
- Vickner, Steven S. & Davies, Stephen P., 1999. "Estimating Market Power And Pricing Conduct In A Product-Differentiated Oligopoly: The Case Of The Domestic Spaghetti Sauce Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(01), April.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-890, July.
- Federico Revelli, 2005. "On Spatial Public Finance Empirics," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 12(4), pages 475-492, August.
- Michaela Draganska & Michael Mazzeo & Katja Seim, 2009. "Beyond plain vanilla: Modeling joint product assortment and pricing decisions," Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME), Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 105-146, June.
- Shah, Nilopa & Brueckner, Jan K., 2012.
"Price and frequency competition in freight transportation,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 938-953.
- Shah, Nilopa & Brueckner, Jan K., 2011. "Price and Frequency Competition in Freight Transportation," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt1n42k26q, University of California Transportation Center.
- Schipper, Youdi & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 2003. "Airline deregulation and external costs: a welfare analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 699-718, September.
- DUJARDIN, Claire & PEETERS, Dominique & THOMAS, Isabelle, 2009.
"Neighbourhood effects and endogeneity issues,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2009056, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Matt Shum & G Crawford, 2003. "Monopoly Quality Degradation in Cable Television," Economics Working Paper Archive 502, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Lazzarini, Sérgio G. & Artes, Rinaldo & Caetano, Marco Antonio L. & Moura, Marcelo L. & Goldberg, Marcelo B. & Silva, César E., 2007. "Does it pay to anticipate competitor reactions?," Insper Working Papers wpe_86, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Dhar, Tirtha & Chavas, Jean- Paul & Cotterill, Ronald W. & Gould, Brian W., 2005. "An Economic Analysis of Brand-Level Strategic Pricing Between Coca-Cola Company and Pepsi," Working Papers 201538, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2010. "Schedule Competition Revisited," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 44(3), pages 261-285, September.
- Steven Berry & Panle Jia, 2010.
"Tracing the Woes: An Empirical Analysis of the Airline Industry,"
American Economic Journal: Microeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 1-43, August.
- Steven Berry & Panle Jia, 2008. "Tracing the Woes: An Empirical Analysis of the Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 14503, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Crawford, Gregory S. & Shcherbakov, Oleksandr & Shum, Matthew, 2015.
"The Welfare Effects of Endogenous Quality Choice in Cable Television Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
10793, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gregory S. Crawford & Oleksandr Shcherbakov & Matthew Shum, 2015. "The welfare effects of endogenous quality choice in cable television markets," ECON - Working Papers 202, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Michael J. Mazzeo, 2002. "Product Choice and Oligopoly Market Structure," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(2), pages 221-242, Summer.
- Reimer Jeffrey J, 2004.
"Market Conduct in the U.S. Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry,"
Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-29, November.
- Reimer, Jeffrey J. & Connor, John M., 2002. "Market Conduct In The U.S. Ready-To-Eat Cereal Industry," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19726, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Putsis, William P., Jr. & Dhar, Ravi, 2000.
"Market Share and Price Setting Behavior For Private Labels and National Brands,"
25209, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Ronald W. Cotterill & William P. Putsis Jr. & Ravi Dhar, 2000. "Market Share and Price Setting Behavior For Private Labels and National Brands," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 051, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Steven T. Berry & Joel Waldfogel, 2001. "Do Mergers Increase Product Variety? Evidence from Radio Broadcasting," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 116(3), pages 1009-1025.
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-1150, September.
- Vickner, Steven S. & Davies, Stephen P., 1999. "Estimating Market Power and Pricing Conduct in a Product-Differentiated Oligopoly: The Case of the Domestic Spaghetti Sauce Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(01), pages 1-13, April.
- Ronald Cotterill & William Putsis, 2000. "Market Share and Price Setting Behavior for Private Labels and National Brands," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 17(1), pages 17-39, August.
- Tirtha Dhar & Jean-Paul Chavas & Ronald W. Cotterill & Brian W. Gould, 2005. "An Econometric Analysis of Brand-Level Strategic Pricing Between Coca-Cola Company and PepsiCo," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 905-931, December.
- Schipper, Youdi & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2007. "Deregulation and welfare in airline markets: An analysis of frequency equilibria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 194-206, April.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach, 2011. "Multimarket Contact and Intensity of Competition: Evidence from an Airline Merger," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 38(1), pages 95-115, January.
- William N. Evans & Ioannis N. Kessides, 1994. "Living by the "Golden Rule": Multimarket Contact in the U. S. Airline Industry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(2), pages 341-366.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_4066. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.