Measuring Strategic Firm Interaction in Product-Quality Choices: The Case of Airline Flight Frequency
This paper investigates strategic interaction among airlines in product-quality choices. Using an instrumental variables approach, the paper estimates flight-frequency reaction functions, which relate an airline’s frequency on a route to its own characteristics and to the frequencies of competing airlines. A positive reaction function slope is found in some cases, indicating the presence of strategic interaction in the choice of frequencies. The paper also asks whether multimarket contact generates mutual forbearance in frequency competition, finding no evidence for such an effect.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Federico Revelli, 2005. "On Spatial Public Finance Empirics," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 475-492, August.
- DUJARDIN, Claire & PEETERS, Dominique & THOMAS, Isabelle, 2009.
"Neighbourhood effects and endogeneity issues,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2009056, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Schipper, Youdi & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 2003. "Airline deregulation and external costs: a welfare analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 699-718, September.
- Tirtha Dhar & Jean-Paul Chavas & Ronald W. Cotterill & Brian W. Gould, 2005. "An Econometric Analysis of Brand-Level Strategic Pricing Between Coca-Cola Company and PepsiCo," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 905-931, December.
- Shah, Nilopa & Brueckner, Jan K., 2012.
"Price and frequency competition in freight transportation,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 938-953.
- Shah, Nilopa & Brueckner, Jan K., 2011. "Price and Frequency Competition in Freight Transportation," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt1n42k26q, University of California Transportation Center.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2010.
"Scheduled service versus personal transportation: The role of distance,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 60-72, January.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2008. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers XREAP2008-13, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2008.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2009. "Scheduled Service Versus Personal Transportation: The Role of Distance," Working Papers 2072/15846, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Volodymir BilotKach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2009. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers 2009-10, FEDEA.
- Reimer, Jeffrey J. & Connor, John M., 2002.
"Market Conduct In The U.S. Ready-To-Eat Cereal Industry,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19726, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Reimer Jeffrey J, 2004. "Market Conduct in the U.S. Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-29, November.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2010. "Schedule Competition Revisited," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 44(3), pages 261-285, September.
- Matt Shum & G Crawford, 2003. "Monopoly Quality Degradation in Cable Television," Economics Working Paper Archive 502, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Putsis, William P., Jr. & Dhar, Ravi, 2000.
"Market Share and Price Setting Behavior For Private Labels and National Brands,"
25209, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Ronald Cotterill & William Putsis, 2000. "Market Share and Price Setting Behavior for Private Labels and National Brands," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 17-39, August.
- Ronald W. Cotterill & William P. Putsis Jr. & Ravi Dhar, 2000. "Market Share and Price Setting Behavior For Private Labels and National Brands," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 051, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE,Â Jacques-FranÃ§ois, .
"On Hotelling's "Stability in competition","
CORE Discussion Papers RP
385, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Steven T. Berry & Joel Waldfogel, 2001. "Do Mergers Increase Product Variety? Evidence From Radio Broadcasting," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 116(3), pages 1009-1025, August.
- Dhar, Tirtha & Chavas, Jean- Paul & Cotterill, Ronald W. & Gould, Brian W., 2005. "An Economic Analysis of Brand-Level Strategic Pricing Between Coca-Cola Company and Pepsi," Working Papers 201538, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- Evans, William N & Kessides, Ioannis N, 1994. "Living by the "Golden Rule": Multimarket Contact in the U.S. Airline Industry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 341-66, May.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-90, July.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach, 2011. "Multimarket Contact and Intensity of Competition: Evidence from an Airline Merger," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Lazzarini, Sérgio G. & Artes, Rinaldo & Caetano, Marco Antonio L. & Moura, Marcelo L. & Goldberg, Marcelo B. & Silva, César E., 2007. "Does it pay to anticipate competitor reactions?," Insper Working Papers wpe_86, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Draganska, Michaela & Seim, Katja & Mazzeo, Michael, 2007.
"Beyond Plain Vanilla: Modeling Joint Product Assortment and Pricing Decisions,"
1982, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Michaela Draganska & Michael Mazzeo & Katja Seim, 2009. "Beyond plain vanilla: Modeling joint product assortment and pricing decisions," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 105-146, June.
- Michael J. Mazzeo, 2002. "Product Choice and Oligopoly Market Structure," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(2), pages 221-242, Summer.
- Vickner, Steven S. & Davies, Stephen P., 1999. "Estimating Market Power And Pricing Conduct In A Product-Differentiated Oligopoly: The Case Of The Domestic Spaghetti Sauce Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(01), April.
- Schipper, Youdi & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2007. "Deregulation and welfare in airline markets: An analysis of frequency equilibria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 194-206, April.
- Steven Berry & Panle Jia, 2008.
"Tracing the Woes: An Empirical Analysis of the Airline Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
14503, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Berry & Panle Jia, 2010. "Tracing the Woes: An Empirical Analysis of the Airline Industry," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 1-43, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_4066. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.