Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance
This paper presents a theoretical and empirical analysis of the relationship between frequency of scheduled transportation services and their substitutability with personal transportation (using distance as a proxy). We study the interaction between a monopoly firm providing a high speed Scheduled service and private transportation (i.e., car). Interestingly, the carrier chooses to increase the frequency of service on longer routes when competing with personal transportation because by providing higher frequency (at extra cost) it can also charge higher fares which can boost its profits. However, in line with the results of earlier studies, frequency decreases for longer flights when driving is not a viable option. An empirical application of our analysis to the European airline industry confirms the predictions of our theoretical model.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Fageda, 2006.
"Measuring Conduct and Cost Parameters in the Spanish Airline Market,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 379-399, June.
- Xavier Fageda, 2005. "Measuring Conduct And Cost Parameters In The Spanish Airline Market," Industrial Organization 0511011, EconWPA.
- Severin Borenstein, 1989. "Hubs and High Fares: Dominance and Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(3), pages 344-365, Autumn.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Linnemer, Laurent, 2000. "Intermodal competition and regional inequalities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 131-184, March.
- Youdi Schipper & Piet Rietveld & Peter Nijkamp, 2002. "European Airline Reform: An Empirical Welfare Analysis," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 36(2), pages 189-209, May.
- Salvanes, Kjell G. & Steen, Frode & Sorgard, Lars, 2005. "Hotelling in the air? Flight departures in Norway," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 193-213, March.
- Voith, Richard, 1997.
"Fares, Service Levels, and Demographics: What Determines Commuter Rail Ridership in the Long Run?,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 176-197, March.
- Richard Voith, 1994. "Fares, service levels, and demographics: what determines commuter rail ridership in the long run?," Working Papers 94-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Baum-Snow, Nathaniel & Kahn, Matthew E., 2000. "The effects of new public projects to expand urban rail transit," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 241-263, August.
- Bilotkach Volodymyr, 2009. "A Framework for Modeling "Real-Life" Airline Networks," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(3), pages 1-16, September.
- Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2009. "Airline competition and network structure," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(10), pages 966-983, December.
- Javier Asensio, 2002. "Transport Mode Choice by Commuters to Barcelona's CBD," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 39(10), pages 1881-1895, September.
- Wei, Wenbin & Hansen, Mark, 2007. "Airlines' competition in aircraft size and service frequency in duopoly markets," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 409-424, July.
- Borenstein, Severin & Netz, Janet, 1999. "Why do all the flights leave at 8 am?: Competition and departure-time differentiation in airline markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 611-640, July.
- Steven Berry & Michael Carnall & Pablo T. Spiller, 1996. "Airline Hubs: Costs, Markups and the Implications of Customer Heterogeneity," NBER Working Papers 5561, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W. Caves & Laurits R. Christensen & Michael W. Tretheway, 1984. "Economies of Density versus Economies of Scale: Why Trunk and Local Service Airline Costs Differ," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 471-489, Winter.
- Bel, Germà, 1997. "Changes in travel time across modes and its impact on the demand for inter-urban rail travel," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 43-52, March.
- Berry, Steven T, 1990. "Airport Presence as Product Differentiation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 394-99, May.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2002.
"Network Structure and Airline Scheduling,"
02-0112, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Cantos-Sánchez, Pedro & Moner-Colonques, Rafael & Sempere-Monerris, José J. & Álvarez-SanJaime, Óscar, 2009. "Alternative pricing regimes in interurban passenger transport with externalities and modal competition," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 128-137, March.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Spiller, Pablo T, 1994. "Economies of Traffic Density in the Deregulated Airline Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 379-415, October.
- Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2007. "Airline Competition and Network Structure," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 683.07, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Damien J. Neven & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Zhentang Zhang, 2002. "Endogenous Costs and Price-Cost Margins," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 294, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Mar González-Savignat, 2004. "Competition in Air Transport," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 77-107, January.
- Fredrik Carlsson, 2004. "Prices and Departures in European Domestic Aviation Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 37-49, 02.
- Marin, Pedro L, 1995. "Competition in European Aviation: Pricing Policy and Market Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 141-59, June.
- Jan Brueckner & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2007. "Airline Schedule Competition," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 161-177, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaddt:2009-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.