When trains go faster than planes: the strategic reaction of airlines in Spain
Plans for the development of high speed railways lines (HSR) in Spain are widespread. At the beginning of 2010 four HSR lines were operating in routes where the air transport mode used to be dominant. In this paper we examine through econometric means the air carriers' reaction to these HSR entrances by using data at the route level. We test whether the HSR have changed both, the airlines' frequencies and the market shares. Our results show that it has reduced on average the number of air transport operations by 17 percent. On the other hand the demand has increased substantially, though the weight of air transport in the total market has been reduced, as it has been reduced the weight of the dominant Spanish air carrier Iberia on air markets.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Givoni, Moshe & Banister, David, 2006. "Airline and railway integration," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 386-397, September.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2010.
"Scheduled service versus personal transportation: The role of distance,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 60-72, January.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2008. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers XREAP2008-13, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2008.
- Volodymir BilotKach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2009. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers 2009-10, FEDEA.
- Fredrik Carlsson, 2004. "Prices and Departures in European Domestic Aviation Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 37-49, 02.
- Thorsten Fischer & David R. Kamerschen, 2003. "Price-Cost Margins in the US Airline Industry using a Conjectural Variation Approach," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 37(2), pages 227-259, May.
- Gaggero, Alberto A. & Piga, Claudio A., 2010.
"Airline competition in the British Isles,"
Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 270-279, March.
- Xavier Fageda, 2005.
"Measuring Conduct And Cost Parameters In The Spanish Airline Market,"
- Xavier Fageda, 2006. "Measuring Conduct and Cost Parameters in the Spanish Airline Market," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 379-399, June.
- Youdi Schipper & Piet Rietveld & Peter Nijkamp, 2002. "European Airline Reform: An Empirical Welfare Analysis," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 36(2), pages 189-209, May.
- Borenstein, Severin & Rose, Nancy L, 1994.
"Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 653-83, August.
- Severin Borenstein & Nancy L. Rose, 1991. "Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 3785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven A. Morrison, 2001. "Actual, Adjacent, and Potential Competition Estimating the Full Effect of Southwest Airlines," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 35(2), pages 239-256, May.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Spiller, Pablo T, 1994. "Economies of Traffic Density in the Deregulated Airline Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 379-415, October.
- Socorro, M. Pilar & Betancor, Ofelia, 2010. "The welfare effects of the allocation of airlines to different terminals," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 236-248, March.
- Daniel Albalate & Germà Bel, 2010. "High-Speed Rail:Lessons for Policy Makers from Experiences Abroad," IREA Working Papers 201003, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Feb 2010.
- Malighetti, Paolo & Paleari, Stefano & Redondi, Renato, 2009. "Pricing strategies of low-cost airlines: The Ryanair case study," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 195-203.
- James A. Brander & Anming Zhang, 1990. "Market Conduct in the Airline Industry: An Empirical Investigation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(4), pages 567-583, Winter.
- Daraban, Bogdan & Fournier, Gary M., 2008. "Incumbent responses to low-cost airline entry and exit: A spatial autoregressive panel data analysis," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 15-24.
- OrtÃºzar, Juan de Dios & Simonetti, Carolina, 2008. "Modelling the demand for medium distance air travel with the mixed data estimation method," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 297-303.
- Xavier Fageda & Juan Luis Jiménez & Jordi Perdiguero, 2010. "Price rivalry in airline markets: a study of a successful strategy of a network carrier against a low-cost carrier," IREA Working Papers 201007, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Mar 2010.
- Steven Berry & Michael Carnall & Pablo T. Spiller, 1996. "Airline Hubs: Costs, Markups and the Implications of Customer Heterogeneity," NBER Working Papers 5561, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evans, William N & Kessides, Ioannis N, 1993. "Localized Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 66-75, February.
- Park, Yonghwa & Ha, Hun-Koo, 2006. "Analysis of the impact of high-speed railroad service on air transport demand," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 95-104, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa11p295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.