Pricing strategies of low-cost airlines: The Ryanair case study
We analyse the pricing policy adopted by Ryanair, the main low-cost carrier in Europe. Based on a year's fare data for all of Ryanair's European flights, using a family of hyperbolic price functions, the optimal pricing curve for each route is estimated. The analysis shows a positive correlation between the average fare for each route and its length, the frequency of flights operating on that route, and the percentage of fully booked flights. As the share of seats offered by the carrier at the departure and destination airports increases, fares tend to decrease. The correlation of dynamic pricing to route length and the frequency of flights is negative. Conversely, as competition increases discounts on advance fares rise.
Volume (Year): 15 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-air-transport-management/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pels, Eric & Rietveld, Piet, 2004. "Airline pricing behaviour in the Londonâ€“Paris market," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 277-281.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1979. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 355-71, August.
- Wen Zhao & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 2000. "Optimal Dynamic Pricing for Perishable Assets with Nonhomogeneous Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 375-388, March.
- Franke, Markus, 2004. "Competition between network carriers and low-cost carriersâ€”retreat battle or breakthrough to a new level of efficiency?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 15-21.
- Guillermo Gallego & Garrett van Ryzin, 1994. "Optimal Dynamic Pricing of Inventories with Stochastic Demand over Finite Horizons," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(8), pages 999-1020, August.
- Severin Borenstein, 1989. "Hubs and High Fares: Dominance and Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(3), pages 344-365, Autumn.
- Anjos, Miguel F. & Cheng, Russell C. H. & Currie, Christine S. M., 2005. "Optimal pricing policies for perishable products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 166(1), pages 246-254, October.
- Wilson, Charles A, 1988. "On the Optimal Pricing Policy of a Monopolist," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 164-76, February.
- Gudmundsson, Sveinn Vidar, 2004. "Management emphasis and performance in the airline industry: an exploratory multilevel analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 443-463, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jaitra:v:15:y:2009:i:4:p:195-203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.