Sustainable Tourism and the emergence of new Environmental Norms
Since 1990s environmental protection and awareness became major issues. Consumers are more and more aware of environmental issues and conscious of existing pollution caused by mass tourism. Consequently a new segment of demand desiring sustainable tourism products have appeared, enhancing service providers to offer this type of products. This paper analyzes the evolution of service provider's offer adapting to demand preferences modification. Using a theoretical framework, it explains how environmental quality standards can become general norms in tourism industry. By analyzing a case of monopoly and duopoly, it considers different possible frameworks and strategic choices that may be implemented by the incumbent. Though, it explains the role of industry in the emergence of the new environmental norms.
|Date of creation:||07 Jun 2012|
|Publication status:||Published in 29èmes Journées de Microéconomie Appliquée (JMA), Jun 2012, Brest, France|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00726127|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo Gallego & Garrett van Ryzin, 1994. "Optimal Dynamic Pricing of Inventories with Stochastic Demand over Finite Horizons," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(8), pages 999-1020, August.
- Dmitry Shapiro & Xianwen Shi, 2008.
"Market Segmentation: The Role of Opaque Travel Agencies,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(4), pages 803-837, December.
- Dmitry Shapiro & Xianwen Shi, 2008. "Market Segmentation: The Role of Opaque Travel Agencies," Working Papers tecipa-310, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Elvio Accinelli & Juan G. Brida & Edgar Carrera, 2008. "A Good Policy of Sustainable Tourism," Revista de Administración, Finanzas y Economía (Journal of Management, Finance and Economics), Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México, vol. 2(2), pages 150-161.
- Youyi Feng & Baichun Xiao, 2000. "A Continuous-Time Yield Management Model with Multiple Prices and Reversible Price Changes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 644-657, May.
- Wen Zhao & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 2000. "Optimal Dynamic Pricing for Perishable Assets with Nonhomogeneous Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 375-388, March.
- Cracolici, M.F. & Cuffaro, M. & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Tourism sustainability and economic efficiency - a statistical analysis of italian provinces," Serie Research Memoranda 0023, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Accinelli, Elvio & Brida, Juan Gabriel & Carrera, Edgar & Pereyra, Juan, 2007. "The Effects On Environmental Investment Of Changes In Tourism Demand," MPRA Paper 6372, University Library of Munich, Germany. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00726127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.