Residents' Influence on the Adoption of Environmental Norms in Tourism
Since the expansion of environmental awareness and protection in recent decades, market actors, tourists and stake-holders, have been progressively more aware of ecological issues and conscious of existing pollution caused by mass tourism. Therefore, a new concept of sustainable tourism have appeared, ncluding environmental and societal concerns, as well as the development of more responsible products, which meet environmentally conscious consumers' needs. Subsequently, this paper considers the case of a tourism service provider, in a situation of monopoly, facing heterogeneous demand (differentiated by the sensibility to environmental issues) and located in a destination inhabited by a population of residents, more or less active in their resistance to tourism activities. Hence, this paper gives a theoretical framework of this 'service provider - residents - tourists' interaction. It shows that taking into account residents' actions leads the service provider to the reduction of his offer, and in most cases, to choose the sustainable solution.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 250, rue Albert Einstein, 06560 Valbonne|
Web page: http://www.gredeg.cnrs.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis Claude & Georges Zaccour, 2009. "Investment in Tourism Market and Reputation," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 11(5), pages 797-817, October.
- Malgorzata Ogonowska & Dominique Torre, 2012.
"Sustainable Tourism and the emergence of new Environmental Norms,"
- Dominique Torre & Malgorzata Ogonowska, 2013. "Sustainable tourism and the emergence of new environmental norms," Post-Print halshs-00856478, HAL.
- Elvio Accinelli & Juan G. Brida & Edgar Carrera, 2008. "A Good Policy of Sustainable Tourism," Revista de Administración, Finanzas y Economía (Journal of Management, Finance and Economics), Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México, vol. 2(2), pages 150-161.
- Cracolici, M.F. & Cuffaro, M. & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Tourism sustainability and economic efficiency - a statistical analysis of italian provinces," Serie Research Memoranda 0023, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Accinelli, Elvio & Brida, Juan Gabriel & Carrera, Edgar & Pereyra, Juan, 2007. "The Effects On Environmental Investment Of Changes In Tourism Demand," MPRA Paper 6372, University Library of Munich, Germany. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)