Residents' Influence on the Adoption of Environmental Norms in Tourism
Since the expansion of environmental awareness and protection in recent decades, market actors, tourists and stake-holders, have been progressively more aware of ecological issues and conscious of existing pollution caused by mass tourism. Therefore, a new concept of sustainable tourism have appeared, ncluding environmental and societal concerns, as well as the development of more responsible products, which meet environmentally conscious consumers' needs. Subsequently, this paper considers the case of a tourism service provider, in a situation of monopoly, facing heterogeneous demand (differentiated by the sensibility to environmental issues) and located in a destination inhabited by a population of residents, more or less active in their resistance to tourism activities. Hence, this paper gives a theoretical framework of this 'service provider - residents - tourists' interaction. It shows that taking into account residents' actions leads the service provider to the reduction of his offer, and in most cases, to choose the sustainable solution.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 250, rue Albert Einstein, 06560 Valbonne|
Web page: http://www.gredeg.cnrs.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis Claude & Georges Zaccour, 2009. "Investment in Tourism Market and Reputation," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 11(5), pages 797-817, October.
- Elvio Accinelli & Juan G. Brida & Edgar Carrera, 2008. "A Good Policy of Sustainable Tourism," Revista de Administración, Finanzas y Economía (Journal of Management, Finance and Economics), Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México, vol. 2(2), pages 150-161.
- Dominique Torre & Malgorzata Ogonowska, 2013.
"Sustainable tourism and the emergence of new environmental norms,"
- Malgorzata Ogonowska & Dominique Torre, 2012. "Sustainable Tourism and the emergence of new Environmental Norms," Post-Print halshs-00726127, HAL.
- Accinelli, Elvio & Brida, Juan Gabriel & Carrera, Edgar & Pereyra, Juan, 2007. "The Effects On Environmental Investment Of Changes In Tourism Demand," MPRA Paper 6372, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gre:wpaper:2013-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patrice Bougette)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.