An effect of consumer's earlier decision to purchase a discount ticket
In this article, we consider how effect consumer's earlier decision to purchase a discount ticket will have on the competition, price and timetable, between airlines. We focus on a relationship between consumer's purchasing behavior and a competition between airlines. We consider that a consumer can purchase a ticket two times, i.e. ex-ante and ex-post, corresponding to this timing, airlines also can set their prices of tickets. The main conclusion highlighted by this article is that, in a subgame perfect equilibrium, each airline's expected profit is unique and timetable is socially optimal regardless to a consumer's purchasing behavior.
|Date of creation:||14 Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Discussion paper series (2011), 131: 1-8|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.otaru-uc.ac.jp/dept/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Brueckner & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2007. "Airline Schedule Competition," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 161-177, May.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2002.
"Network Structure and Airline Scheduling,"
02-0112, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Alberto Gaggero & Claudio A. Piga, 2008.
"Airline Competition in the British Isles,"
Discussion Paper Series
2008_12, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Oct 2008.
- Gaggero, Alberto A. & Piga, Claudio A., 2010. "Airline competition in the British Isles," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 270-279, March.
- Salvanes, Kjell G. & Steen, Frode & Sorgard, Lars, 2005. "Hotelling in the air? Flight departures in Norway," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 193-213, March.
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Encacoua, D. & Moreaux, M. & Perrot, A., 1995.
"Compatibility and Competition in Airlines: Demand Side Network Effect,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
95.21, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Encaoua, David & Moreaux, Michel & Perrot, Anne, 1996. "Compatibility and competition in airlines demand side network effects," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 701-726, October.
- Schipper, Youdi & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 2003. "Airline deregulation and external costs: a welfare analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 699-718, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ota:busdis:10252/4502. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Miura, Chiho)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.