Airlines-within-airlines strategies and existence of low-cost carriers
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Ken Hendricks & Michele Piccione & Guofu Tan, 1995. "The Economics of Hubs: The Case of Monopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 83-99.
- Bittlingmayer, George, 1990. "Efficiency and entry in a simple airline network," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 245-257, June.
- Avinash Dixit, 1979.
"A Model of Duopoly Suggesting a Theory of Entry Barriers,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 20-32, Spring.
- Dixit, Avinash K., 1978. "A Model of Duopoly Suggesting a Theory of Entry Barriers," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 125, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Panzar, John C, 1979. "Equilibrium and Welfare in Unregulated Airline Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 92-95, May.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2004. "Network Structure and Airline Scheduling," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 291-312, June.
- Lin, Ming Hsin, 2004. "Strategic airline alliances and endogenous Stackelberg equilibria," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 357-384, September.
- Lin, Ming Hsin, 2008. "Airline alliances and entry deterrence," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 637-652, July.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 1995. "Airline Network Rivalry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 836-857, November.
- Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2009. "Airline competition and network structure," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(10), pages 966-983, December.
- Gillen, David & Gados, Alicja, 2008. "Airlines within airlines: Assessing the vulnerabilities of mixing business models," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 25-35.
- Rietveld, Piet & Brons, Martijn, 2001. "Quality of hub-and-spoke networks; the effects of timetable co-ordination on waiting time and rescheduling time," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 241-249.
- Kawasaki, Akio, 2008. "Network effects, heterogeneous time value and network formation in the airline market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 388-403, July.
- Douglas, George W & Miller, James C, III, 1974. "Quality Competition, Industry Equilibrium, and Efficiency in the Price-Constrained Airline Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 657-669, September.
- Encaoua, David & Moreaux, Michel & Perrot, Anne, 1996.
"Compatibility and competition in airlines demand side network effects,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 701-726, October.
- Encacoua, D. & Moreaux, M. & Perrot, A., 1995. "Compatibility and Competition in Airlines: Demand Side Network Effect," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 95.21, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Hattori Keisuke & Lin Ming-Hsin, 2011.
"Alliance Partner Choice in Markets with Vertical and Horizontal Externalities,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-27, June.
- Hattori, Keisuke & Lin, Ming Hsin, 2010. "Alliance Partner Choice in Markets with Vertical and Horizontal Externalities," MPRA Paper 25732, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jan Brueckner & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2007. "Airline Schedule Competition," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 30(3), pages 161-177, May.
- Morrell, Peter, 2005. "Airlines within airlines: An analysis of US network airline responses to Low Cost Carriers," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 303-312.
- Dunn, Abe, 2008.
"Do low-quality products affect high-quality entry? Multiproduct firms and nonstop entry in airline markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1074-1089, September.
- Abraham Dunn, 2007. "Do Low-Quality Products Affect High-Quality Entry? Multiproduct Firms and Nonstop Entry in Airline Markets," EAG Discussions Papers 200712, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Ken Hendricks & Michele Piccione & Guofu Tan, 1997. "Entry and Exit in Hub-Spoke Networks," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(2), pages 291-303, Summer.
- Chen, Yongmin & Gayle, Philip G., 2007. "Vertical contracting between airlines: An equilibrium analysis of codeshare alliances," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1046-1060, October.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2000. "A note on the optimality of airline networks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 429-434, December.
- Steven A. Morrison, 2001. "Actual, Adjacent, and Potential Competition Estimating the Full Effect of Southwest Airlines," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 35(2), pages 239-256, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lin, Ming Hsin, 2013. "Airport privatization in congested hub–spoke networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 51-67.
- Homsombat, Winai & Lei, Zheng & Fu, Xiaowen, 2014. "Competitive effects of the airlines-within-airlines strategy – Pricing and route entry patterns," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 1-16.
- repec:eee:transb:v:101:y:2017:i:c:p:89-106 is not listed on IDEAS
- Takebayashi, Mikio, 2013. "Network competition and the difference in operating cost: Model analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 85-94.
- Pearson, James & Merkert, Rico, 2014. "Airlines-within-airlines: A business model moving East," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 21-26.
- Akio Kawasaki & Ming Hsin Lin, 2013. "Airline Schedule Competition and the Entry Route Choices of Low-Cost Carriers," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 97-114, June.
- Kawamori, Tomohiko & Lin, Ming Hsin, 2013. "Airline mergers with low cost carriers," Economics of Transportation, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 63-71.
More about this item
KeywordsAirline network; Airlines-within-airlines; Low-cost carriers; Schedule competition; Product differentiation;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transe:v:48:y:2012:i:3:p:637-651. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.