Price-dependent demand in spatial models
This paper introduces price-dependent individual demand into the circular city model of product differentiation. We show that for any finite number of firms, a unique symmetric price equilibrium exists provided that demand functions are not too convex. As in the case of unit demand, the number of firms under free entry decreases in the fixed cost of entry while increases in the transportation cost of consumers. However, this number is no longer always in excess of the socially optimal level. Insufficient entry occurs when the fixed and transportation costs are high.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 211 81-15494
Fax: +49 211 81-15499
Web page: http://www.dice.hhu.de/en.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caplin, Andrew & Nalebuff, Barry, 1991.
"Aggregation and Imperfect Competition: On the Existence of Equilibrium,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 25-59, January.
- Andrew Caplin & Barry Nalebuff, 1990. "Aggregation and Imperfect Competition: On the Existence of Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 937, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Madden Paul & Pezzino Mario, 2011.
"Oligopoly on a Salop Circle with Centre,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2001.
"The Importance of the Distribution of Consumers in Horizontal Product Differentiation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3031, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2002. "The Importance of the Distribution of Consumers in Horizontal Product Differentiation," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 793-803.
- Neven, Damien J., 1986. "On Hotelling's competition with non-uniform customer distributions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 121-126.
- S. P. Anderson & A. de Palma, 1997.
"From local to global competition,"
THEMA Working Papers
97-10, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Anderson, Simon P & de Palma, André, 1996. "From Local to Global Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 1328, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre de Palma, 1998. "From Local to Global Competition," Virginia Economics Online Papers 344, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Suleymanova Irina & Wey Christian, 2011.
"Bertrand Competition in Markets with Network Effects and Switching Costs,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-58, September.
- Irina Suleymanova & Christian Wey, 2008. "Bertrand Competition in Markets with Network Effects and Switching Costs," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 796, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Suleymanova, Irina & Wey, Christian, 2011. "Bertrand competition in markets with network effects and switching costs," DICE Discussion Papers 30, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Matsumura, Toshihiro & Okamura, Makoto, 2006. "A note on the excess entry theorem in spatial markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 1071-1076, September.
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979. "On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition"," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Matsumura Toshihiro & Matsushima Noriaki, 2010. "When Small Firms Fight Back Against Large Firms in R&D Activities," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-42, September.
- Maarten C.W. Janssen & Vladimir A. Karamychev & Peran van Reeven, 2003.
"Multi-Store Competition: Market Segmentation or Interlacing?,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
03-033/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Janssen, Maarten C.W. & Karamychev, Vladimir A. & van Reeven, Peran, 2005. "Multi-store competition: Market segmentation or interlacing?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 700-714, November.
- Rath, Kali P. & Zhao, Gongyun, 2001. "Two stage equilibrium and product choice with elastic demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(9), pages 1441-1455, November.
- Norman, George & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996. "Product Variety and Welfare under Tough and Soft Pricing Regimes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 76-91, January.
- Gu, Yiquan & Wenzel, Tobias, 2007.
"A Note on the Excess Entry Theorem in Spatial Models with Elastic Demand,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
33, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI), Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Gu, Yiquan & Wenzel, Tobias, 2009. "A note on the excess entry theorem in spatial models with elastic demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 567-571, September.
- Toshihiro Matsumura, 2000. "Entry regulation and social welfare with an integer problem," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 71(1), pages 47-58, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:dicedp:43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.