A Note on the Excess Entry Theorem in Spatial Models with Elastic Demand
This paper revisits the excess entry theorem in spatial models à la Vickrey (1964) and Salop (1979) while relaxing the assumption of inelastic demand. Using a demand function with a constant demand elasticity, we show that the number of firms that enter a market decreases with the degree of demand elasticity.We find that the excess entry theorem does only hold when demand is sufficiently inelastic. Otherwise, there is insufficient entry. In the limiting case of unit elastic demand, the market is monopolized. We point out when and how a public policy can be desirable and broaden our results with a more general transportation cost function.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstraße 1-3, 45128 Essen|
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre de Palma, 1998.
"From Local to Global Competition,"
Virginia Economics Online Papers
344, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- S. P. Anderson & A. de Palma, 1997. "From local to global competition," THEMA Working Papers 97-10, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Anderson, Simon P & de Palma, André, 1996. "From Local to Global Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 1328, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Martin Peitz, 2002. "Price equilibrium in address models of product differentiation: unit-elastic demand," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 849-860.
- Michael Sattinger, 1984. "Value of an Additional Firm in Monopolistic Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(2), pages 321-332.
- Rath, Kali P. & Zhao, Gongyun, 2001. "Two stage equilibrium and product choice with elastic demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(9), pages 1441-1455, November.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1975. "Socially Optimal Product Differentiation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 567-85, September.
- Bockem, Sabine, 1994. "A Generalized Model of Horizontal Product Differentiation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 287-98, September.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro & Okamura, Makoto, 2006. "A note on the excess entry theorem in spatial markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 1071-1076, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0033. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.