Estimating non-marginal willingness to pay for railway noise abatement: Application of the two-step hedonic regression technique
In this study we estimate the demand for peace and quiet, and thus also the willingness to pay for railway noise abatement, based on both steps of the hedonic model regression on property prices. The estimated demand relationship suggests welfare gains for a 1 dB reduction of railway noise as; USD 162 per individual per year at the baseline noise level of 71 dB, and USD 86 at the baseline noise level of 61 dB. Below a noise level of 49.1 dB, individuals have no willingness to pay for railway noise abatement. Our results also show the risk of using benefit transfer, i.e. we show empirically that the estimated implicit price for peace and quiet differs substantially across the housing markets. From a policy perspective our results are useful, not only for benefit-cost analysis, but also as the monetary component on infrastructure use charges that internalize the noise externality.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dekkers, Jasper E.C. & van der Straaten, J. Willemijn, 2009. "Monetary valuation of aircraft noise: A hedonic analysis around Amsterdam airport," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(11), pages 2850-2858, September.
- Ekeland, Ivar & Heckman, James J. & Nesheim, Lars, 2003.
"Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models,"
IZA Discussion Papers
853, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars P. Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," NBER Working Papers 9910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ivar Ekeland & James Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2002. "Identification and estimation of hedonic models," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 1031, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ekeland, Ivar & Heckman, James J. & Nesheim, Lars, 2004. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6486, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kenneth A. Small & Seiji S.C. Steimetz, 2012.
"Spatial Hedonics And The Willingness To Pay For Residential Amenities,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 635-647, October.
- Kenneth A. Small & Seiji Steimetz, 2006. "Spatial Hedonics and the Willingness to Pay for Residential Amenities," Working Papers 050631, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2007.
- Kim, Chong Won & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 1998.
"Measuring The Benefits Of Air Quality Improvement: A Spatial Hedonic Approach,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT
20959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Won Kim, Chong & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 2003. "Measuring the benefits of air quality improvement: a spatial hedonic approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Henrik Andersson & Lina Jonsson & Mikael Ogren, 2010.
"Property prices and exposure to multiple noise sources: hedonic regression with road and railwy noise,"
47267, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Henrik Andersson & Lina Jonsson & Mikael Ögren, 2010. "Property Prices and Exposure to Multiple Noise Sources: Hedonic Regression with Road and Railway Noise," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(1), pages 73-89, January.
- Andersson, Henrik & Jonsson, Lina & Ögren, Mikael, 2008. "Property Prices and Exposure to Multiple Noise Sources: Hedonic Regression with Road and Railway Noise," Working Papers 2008:10, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- ANDERSSON Henrik & JONSSON Lina & OGREN Mikael, 2008. "Property Prices and Exposure to Multiple Noise Sources: Hedonic Regression with Road and Railway Noise," LERNA Working Papers 08.25.269, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Andersson, Henrik & Ögren, Mikael, 2006.
"Noise Charges in Railway Infrastructure: A Pricing Schedule Based on the Marginal Cost Principle,"
2006:4, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- Andersson, Henrik & Ögren, Mikael, 2007. "Noise charges in railway infrastructure: A pricing schedule based on the marginal cost principle," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 204-213, May.
- Palmquist, Raymond B., 2006. "Property Value Models," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 763-819 Elsevier.
- Boes, Stefan & Nüesch, Stephan, 2011. "Quasi-experimental evidence on the effect of aircraft noise on apartment rents," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 196-204, March.
- Wilhelmsson, Mats, 2002. "Household Expenditure Patterns for Housing Attributes: A Linear Expenditure System with Hedonic Prices," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 75-93, March.
- Brett Day & Ian Bateman & Iain Lake, 2007. "Beyond implicit prices: recovering theoretically consistent and transferable values for noise avoidance from a hedonic property price model," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 37(1), pages 211-232, May.
- McMillen, Daniel P., 2004. "Airport expansions and property values: the case of Chicago O'Hare Airport," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 627-640, May.
- Pope, Jaren C., 2008. "Buyer information and the hedonic: The impact of a seller disclosure on the implicit price for airport noise," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 498-516, March.
- Jon P. Nelson, 2004. "Meta-Analysis of Airport Noise and Hedonic Property Values," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Niskanen, William A & Hanke, Steve H, 1977. "Land Prices Substantially Underestimate the Value of Environmental Quality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(3), pages 375-77, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:26573. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.