Beyond implicit prices: recovering theoretically consistent and transferable values for noise avoidance from a hedonic property price model
Using a two-stage hedonic pricing methodology we estimate a system of structural demand equations for different sources of transport-related noise. In the first stage, we identify market segments using model-based clustering techniques and estimate separate hedonic price functions (HPFs) for each segment. In so doing, we show how a semiparametric spatial smoothing estimator outperforms other standard specifications of the HPF. In the second stage, we control for non-linearity of the budget constraint and identify demand relationships using techniques that account for problems of endogeneity and censoring of the dependent variable. Our estimated demand functions provide welfare estimates for peace and quiet that we believe to be the first derived from property market data in a theoretically consistent manner. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2007
Volume (Year): 37 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheshire, Paul & Sheppard, Stephen, 1998. "Estimating the Demand for Housing, Land, and Neighbourhood Characteristics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 60(3), pages 357-82, August.
- Ekeland, Ivar & Heckman, James J. & Nesheim, Lars, 2003.
"Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models,"
IZA Discussion Papers
853, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 1031, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars P. Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," NBER Working Papers 9910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ivar Ekeland & James Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2002. "Identification and estimation of hedonic models," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hanemann, W Michael, 1991. "Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept: How Much Can They Differ?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 635-47, June.
- Lars Nesheim, 2002. "Equilibrium sorting of heterogeneous consumers across locations: theory and empirical implications," CeMMAP working papers CWP08/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Anglin, Paul M & Gencay, Ramazan, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Hedonic Price Function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 633-648, Nov.-Dec..
- William N. Goetzmann & Susan M. Wachter, 1998.
"Clustering Methods for Real Estate Portfolios,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm59, Yale School of Management.
- Allen, Marcus T & Springer, Thomas M & Waller, Neil G, 1995. "Implicit Pricing across Residential Rental Submarkets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 137-151, September.
- James J. Heckman, 2003.
"Simulation and Estimation of Hedonic Models,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1014, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gibbons, Steve & Machin, Stephen, 2003. "Valuing English primary schools," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 197-219, March.
- Bourassa, Steven C. & Hamelink, Foort & Hoesli, Martin & MacGregor, Bryan D., 1999. "Defining Housing Submarkets," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 160-183, June.
- Carson, Richard T & Groves, Theodore, 2010.
"Incentive and Information Properties of Preference Questions,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt88d8644g, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Richard Carson & Theodore Groves, 2007. "Incentive and informational properties of preference questions," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 37(1), pages 181-210, May.
- Blomquist, N Soren, 1989. "Comparative Statics for Utility Maximization Models with Nonlinear Budget Constraints," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(2), pages 275-96, May.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6486 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2002.
"Identifying Hedonic Models,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 304-309, May.
- Lars Nesheim, 2004. "Equilibrium Sorting of Heterogeneous Consumers Across Locations," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 337, Econometric Society.
- Edlefsen, Lee E, 1981. "The Comparative Statics of Hedonic Price Functions and Other Nonlinear Constraints," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1501-20, November.
- James N. Brown & Harvey S. Rosen, 1982.
"On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brown, James N & Rosen, Harvey S, 1982. "On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 765-68, May.
- Raymond B. Palmquist & Adis Israngkura, 1999. "Valuing Air Quality With Hedonic and Discrete Choice Models," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1128-1133.
- Craig A Watkins, 2001. "The definition and identification of housing submarkets," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(12), pages 2235-2253, December.
- Kevin J. Boyle & P. Joan Poor & Laura O. Taylor, 1999. "Estimating the Demand for Protecting Freshwater Lakes from Eutrophication," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1118-1122.
- Geweke, John, 1986. "Exact Inference in the Inequality Constrained Normal Linear Regression Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 127-141, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:37:y:2007:i:1:p:211-232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.