Investment in Cellulosic Biofuel Refineries: Do Waivable Biofuel Mandates Matter?
We develop a conceptual model to study the impact of mandate policies on stimulating investment in cellulosic biofuel refineries. In a two-period framework, we compare the first-period investment level (FIL) under three scenarios: laissez-faire, non-waivable mandate (NWM) policy, and waivable mandate (WM) policy. Results show that when plant-level marginal costs are increasing then both NWM policy and WM policy may stimulate FIL. The WM policy has a smaller impact than does the NWM policy. When the plant-level marginal costs are constants, however, WM policy does not increase FIL but does increase the expected profit of more efficient investors. Copyright 2012, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 94 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2010.
"Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(3), pages 789-802.
- Feng, Hongli & Babcock, Bruce A., 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12959, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp472, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Feng, Hongli & Babcock, Bruce, 2010. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," ISU General Staff Papers 201004070700001493, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hannu Salonen, 2010. "On the existence of Nash equilibria in large games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 39(3), pages 351-357, July.
- Gardner, Bruce L., 2003. "Fuel Ethanol Subsidies And Farm Price Support: Boon Or Boondoggle?," Working Papers 28599, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, December.
- Bryant, Henry L. & Lu, Jiamin & Richardson, James W. & Outlaw, Joe L., 2010. "Long-term Effects of the U.S. Renewable Fuel Standard on World Hunger," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61262, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lapan, Harvey E. & Moschini, GianCarlo, 2009. "Biofuels Policies and Welfare: Is the Stick of Mandates Better Than the Carrot of Subsidies?," Staff General Research Papers Archive 13076, Iowa State University, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)