Revisiting the Evaluation of Robust Regression Techniques for Crop Yield Data Detrending
Using a Monte Carlo experiment, the performance of the ordinary least squares (OLS) and the MM-estimator, a robust regression technique, is compared in an application of crop yield detrending. Assuming symmetric as well as skewed crop yield distributions, we show that the MM-estimator performs similarly to OLS for uncontaminated time series of crop yield data, and clearly outperforms OLS for outlier-contaminated samples. In contrast to earlier studies, our analysis suggests that robust regression techniques, such as the MM-estimator, should be reconsidered for detrending crop yield data. Copyright 2010, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 92 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Just & Quinn Weninger, 1999.
"Are Crop Yields Normally Distributed?,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 287-304.
- Joseph Atwood & Saleem Shaik & Myles Watts, 2002. "Can Normality of Yields Be Assumed for Crop Insurance?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 50(2), pages 171-184, 07.
- Octavio A. Ramirez & Sukant Misra & James Field, 2003. "Crop-Yield Distributions Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 108-120.
- Christophe Croux & Geert Dhaene & Dirk Hoorelbeke, 2003. "Robust Standard Errors for Robust Estimators," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0316, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Woodard, Joshua D. & Garcia, Philip, 2008. "Weather Derivatives, Spatial Aggregation, and Systemic Risk: Implications for Reinsurance Hedging," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(01), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:92:y:2010:i:1:p:205-211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.