Revisiting the Evaluation of Robust Regression Techniques for Crop Yield Data Detrending
Using a Monte Carlo experiment, the performance of the ordinary least squares (OLS) and the MM-estimator, a robust regression technique, is compared in an application of crop yield detrending. Assuming symmetric as well as skewed crop yield distributions, we show that the MM-estimator performs similarly to OLS for uncontaminated time series of crop yield data, and clearly outperforms OLS for outlier-contaminated samples. In contrast to earlier studies, our analysis suggests that robust regression techniques, such as the MM-estimator, should be reconsidered for detrending crop yield data. Copyright 2010, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 92 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Just & Quinn Weninger, 1999.
"Are Crop Yields Normally Distributed?,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 287-304.
- Weninger, Quinn & Just, Richard E., 1999. "Are Crop Yields Normally Distributed?," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5064, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Joseph Atwood & Saleem Shaik & Myles Watts, 2002. "Can Normality of Yields Be Assumed for Crop Insurance?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 50(2), pages 171-184, 07.
- Octavio A. Ramirez & Sukant Misra & James Field, 2003. "Crop-Yield Distributions Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 108-120.
- Woodard, Joshua D. & Garcia, Philip, 2008. "Weather Derivatives, Spatial Aggregation, and Systemic Risk: Implications for Reinsurance Hedging," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(01), April.
- Christophe Croux & Geert Dhaene & Dirk Hoorelbeke, 2003. "Robust Standard Errors for Robust Estimators," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0316, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)