A Note on Price Risks in Swiss Crop Production – Empirical Results and Comparisons with other Countries
The liberalization of Swiss agricultural markets will not only decrease crop price levels but is also expected to increase the volatility of prices. Even though these potential increases in price volatilities for Swiss producers are acknowledged as an important fact, no empirical estimates are available yet. To fill this gap, we estimate absolute and relative crop price volatilities of wheat, barley, maize, triticale, potato, rapeseed, and sugar beet applying autoregressive models using annual price data for the period 1991 – 2009. The results for Switzerland are compared with estimates for the USA, Germany, France, and the Netherlands. Relative price volatilities, expressed by the coefficient of variation, are found to be lower in Switzerland by a factor of 2 – 3 compared to the other considered countries. For some crops such as potatoes the differences are even higher. An increase in price volatilities of this magnitude due to market liberalization may become a threat to Swiss farmers. Thus, anticipatory actions of policy makers and producers with regard to the development of price risk management strategies might worth to be considered.
Volume (Year): 5 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://jsagr.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Rapsomanikis & Alexander Sarris, 2008. "Market Integration and Uncertainty: The Impact of Domestic and International Commodity Price Variability on Rural Household Income and Welfare in Ghana and Peru," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(9), pages 1354-1381.
- Sarris, Alexander H., 2000. "Has world cereal market instability increased?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 337-350, June.
- El Benni, Nadja & Finger, Robert, 2012.
"Where is the risk? Price, yield and cost risk in Swiss crop production,"
2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil
126758, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Nadja El Benni & Robert Finger, 2014. "Where is the risk? Price, yield and cost risk in Swiss crop production," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 95(3), pages 299-326.
- Harwood, Joy L. & Heifner, Richard G. & Coble, Keith H. & Perry, Janet E. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "Managing Risk in Farming: Concepts, Research, and Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 34081, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Nganje, William E. & Stoltman, Gwen, 2000. "Price Variability And Financial Risk For Sugar Beet Growers," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36493, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Meuwissen, Miranda P.M. & Van Asseldonk, Marcel A.P.M. & Pietola, Kyosti & Hardaker, J. Brian & Huirne, Ruud B.M., 2011. "Income insurance as a risk management tool after 2013 CAP reforms?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114649, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Robert Finger, 2010. "Revisiting the Evaluation of Robust Regression Techniques for Crop Yield Data Detrending," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(1), pages 205-211.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Hennessy, David A., 2001.
"Uncertainty, Risk Aversion, and Risk Management for Agricultural Producers,"
Staff General Research Papers
5323, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Hennessy, David A., 2001. "Uncertainty, risk aversion, and risk management for agricultural producers," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 88-153 Elsevier.
- Elam, Emmett W., 1992. "Cash Forward Contracting Versus Hedging Of Fed Cattle, And The Impact Of Cash Contracting On Cash Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Robert Finger & Niklaus Lehmann, 2012. "The influence of direct payments on farmers’ hail insurance decisions," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(3), pages 343-354, 05.
- Olivier Mahul & Brian D. Wright, 2003.
"Designing Optimal Crop Revenue Insurance,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 580-589.
- Calm G. Turvey, 1992. "An Economic Analysis of Alternative Farm Revenue Insurance Policies," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 40(3), pages 403-426, November.
- Artavia, Marco & Deppermann, Andre & Filler, Gunther & Grethe, Harald & Haeger, Astrid & Kirschke, Dieter & Odening, Martin, 2010. "Ertrags- Und Preisinstabilität Auf Agrarmärkten In Deutschland Und Der Eu," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93956, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Oliver Musshoff & Norbert Hirschauer, 2009. "Optimizing Production Decisions Using a Hybrid Simulation-Genetic Algorithm Approach," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 57(1), pages 35-54, 03.
- Bokusheva, Raushan & Finger, Robert & Fischler, Martin & Berlin, Robert & Marin, Yuri & Perez, Francisco Jose & Paiz, Francisco, 2012. "Factors Determining the Adoption and Impact of a Postharvest Storage Technology," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 125138, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mar�a Bielza & Alberto Garrido & José M. Sumpsi, 2007. "Feasibility of a cash forward contract: An application to the French and Spanish potato sectors," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 245-261.
- Carlo Cafiero & Fabian Capitanio & Antonio Cioffi & Adele Coppola, 2007. "Risk and Crisis Management in the Reformed European Agricultural Policy," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(4), pages 419-441, December.
- Lehmann, Niklaus & Finger, Robert, 2012. "Optimizing whole-farm management considering price and climate risks," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122533, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anton, Jesus & Kimura, Shingo, 2009. "Farm Level Analysis of Risk, and Risk Management Strategies and Policies: Evidence from German Crop Farms," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51729, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Poulton, Colin & Kydd, Jonathan & Wiggins, Steve & Dorward, Andrew, 2006. "State intervention for food price stabilisation in Africa: Can it work?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 342-356, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cha:ysa001:v:5:y:2012:i:1:p:131-151. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Briner)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.