Optimizing whole-farm management considering price and climate risks
We investigate impacts of climate change (CC) and likely increases in price risks on income, income variability, utility and on adaptation responses in crop production in Western Switzerland. To this end, a bio-economic model is used that combines a crop growth model with an economic decision model non-parametrically using genetic algorithms. Our analysis focuses on the farm-level, which enables us to integrate a much wider set of potential adaptation responses in our analysis. The model is applied to four scenarios that represent likely changes in environmental conditions due to CC as well as increasing price risks due to market liberalization, and combinations thereof. It shows that CC has the larger influence on farm-level income and utility as well as on management decisions. In contrast, the increasing price variability has only small impacts on input use. However, both CC and increasing price volatility contribute to an increasing farm-level income risk.
|Date of creation:||23 Feb 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Predrag Rajsic & Alfons Weersink & Markus Gandorfer, 2009. "Risk and Nitrogen Application Levels," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 57(2), pages 223-239, 06.
- Niklaus Lehmann, 2011. "Regional Crop Modeling: How Future Climate May Impact Crop Yields in Switzerland," Journal of Socio-Economics in Agriculture (Until 2015: Yearbook of Socioeconomics in Agriculture), Swiss Society for Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, vol. 4(1), pages 269-291.
- Mark W. Rosegrant & James A. Roumasset, 1985.
"The Effect Of Fertiliser On Risk: A Heteroscedastic Production Function With Measurable Stochastic Inputs,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 29(2), pages 107-121, 08.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Roumasset, James A., 1985. "The Effect Of Fertiliser On Risk: A Heteroscedastic Production Function With Measurable Stochastic Inputs," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 29(02), August.
- Salvatore Di Falco & Jean-Paul Chavas, 2006. "Crop genetic diversity, farm productivity and the management of environmental risk in rainfed agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 289-314, September.
- Cramb, R. A. & Purcell, T. & Ho, T. C. S., 2004. "Participatory assessment of rural livelihoods in the Central Highlands of Vietnam," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 255-272, September.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Olivier Mahul, 2003. "Hedging price risk in the presence of crop yield and revenue insurance," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 217-239, June.
- Finger, Robert, 2012. "How strong is the “natural hedge”? The effects of crop acreage and aggregation levels," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122538, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lehmann, Niklaus & Finger, Robert & Klein, Tommy & Calanca, Pierluigi & Walter, Achim, 2012. "Adapting Towards Climate Change: A Bioeconomic Analysis of Winterwheat and Grain Maize," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126483, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Robert Finger & Niklaus Lehmann, 2012. "The influence of direct payments on farmers’ hail insurance decisions," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(3), pages 343-354, 05.
- Mayer, D. G. & Belward, J. A. & Burrage, K., 2001. "Robust parameter settings of evolutionary algorithms for the optimisation of agricultural systems models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 199-213, September.
- Salvatore Di Falco & Jean-Paul Chavas & Melinda Smale, 2007. "Farmer management of production risk on degraded lands: the role of wheat variety diversity in the Tigray region, Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(2), pages 147-156, 03.
- El Benni, Nadja & Finger, Robert & Mann, Stefan, 2012. "The effect of agricultural policy change on income risk in Swiss agriculture," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122532, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa123:122533. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.