The Effect Of Fertiliser On Risk: A Heteroscedastic Production Function With Measurable Stochastic Inputs
The sources of production risk are many and diverse in nature. Estimating risk as a black box, without explicit recognition of its sources, can lead to inferior estimates of optimal inputs under risk aversion. In this paper, a method is presented for estimating production functions with measurable stochastic inputs and for generating the parameters of the probability distributions of yield for various environments and input levels. Based on this method, it appears that moderate risk aversion can account for a 6.7 per cent to 16.7 per cent reduction in nitrogen use (relative to the risk-neutral solution) for selected rice producing areas of the Philippines. Estimating optimal inputs without environment specific information about the sources of risk leads to large errors. This underscores the value of collecting information about the sources of risk and of exercising caution when such information is not available.
Volume (Year): 29 (1985)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, A C, 1976. "Estimating Regression Models with Multiplicative Heteroscedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 461-465, May.
- Herdt, R W & Mandac, A M, 1981. "Modern Technology and Economic Efficiency of Philippine Rice Farmers," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(2), pages 375-399, January.
- Antle, John M, 1983. "Testing the Stochastic Structure of Production: A Flexible Moment-based Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(3), pages 192-201, July.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1977. "A note on a heteroscedastic model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 365-370, November.
- H. M. G. Herath & J. Brian Hardaker & Jock R. Anderson, 1982. "Choice of Varieties by Sri Lanka Rice Farmers: Comparing Alternative Decision Models," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 64(1), pages 87-93.
- Derek R. Byerlee & Jock R. Anderson, 1969.
"Value Of Predictors Of Uncontrolled Factors In Response Functions,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 13(2), pages 118-127, December.
- Byerlee, Derek R. & Anderson, Jock R., 1969. "Value Of Predictors Of Uncontrolled Factors In Response Functions," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 13(02), December.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-1294, September.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)