Yield Reserve Program Costs in the Virginia Coastal Plain
A proposed Yield Reserve Program designed to compensate farmers for any reduced yields resulting from nitrogen (N) application rates reduced to below recommended rates is evaluated. Assuming that farmers currently follow Extension recommendations for applying N, Yield Reserve Program participation reduces expected net revenue by $10 to $13/ha. The Yield Reserve Program reduces expected net revenue by $17 to $20/ha for farmers who apply N to maximize expected net revenue. Farmersâ€™ costs of participation increase with lower probabilities of inadequate rainfall and higher corn prices and decline with higher N prices. The Yield Reserve Program can significantly reduce N applications to cropland, which may reduce N content of surface waters, but the costs to taxpayers and farmers will depend on how the program is implemented.
Volume (Year): 36 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.narea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carpentier, Chantal Line & Bosch, Darrell J. & Batie, Sandra S., 1998. "Using Spatial Information To Reduce Costs Of Controlling Agricultural Nonpoint Source Pollution," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 27(1), April.
- Satya Yadav & Willis Peterson & K. Easter, 1997. "Do farmers overuse nitrogen fertilizer to the detriment of the environment?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 9(3), pages 323-340, April.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Roumasset, James A., 1985.
"The Effect Of Fertiliser On Risk: A Heteroscedastic Production Function With Measurable Stochastic Inputs,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 29(02), August.
- Mark W. Rosegrant & James A. Roumasset, 1985. "The Effect Of Fertiliser On Risk: A Heteroscedastic Production Function With Measurable Stochastic Inputs," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 29(2), pages 107-121, 08.
- Babcock, Bruce A., 1992. "Effects of Uncertainty on Optimal Nitrogen Applications (The)," Staff General Research Papers 10588, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- McCann, Laura M.J. & Easter, K. William, 2000. "Estimates Of Public Sector Transaction Costs In Nrcs Programs," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Ribaudo, Marc O. & Heimlich, Ralph & Claassen, Roger & Peters, Mark, 2001. "Least-cost management of nonpoint source pollution: source reduction versus interception strategies for controlling nitrogen loss in the Mississippi Basin," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 183-197, May.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Chalfant, James A. & Collender, R. N., 1987.
"Simultaneous Input Demands and Land Allocation in Agricultural Production Under Uncertainty,"
Staff General Research Papers
10614, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Chalfant, James A. & Collender, Robert N., 1987. "Simultaneous Input Demands And Land Allocation In Agricultural Production Under Certainty," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(02), December.
- Pease, James W., 1992. "A Comparison Of Subjective And Historical Crop Yield Probability Distributions," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Wu, JunJie & Adams, Richard M. & Kling, Catherine L. & Tanaka, Katsuya, 2004.
"From Microlevel Decisions to Landscape Changes: An Assessment of Agricultural Conservation Policies,"
Staff General Research Papers
12519, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- JunJie Wu & Richard M. Adams & Catherine L. Kling & Katsuya Tanaka, 2004. "From Microlevel Decisions to Landscape Changes: An Assessment of Agricultural Conservation Policies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 26-41.
- Lambert, David K., 1990. "Risk Considerations In The Reduction Of Nitrogen Fertilizer Use In Agricultural Production," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(02), December.
- Ribaudo, Marc & Horan, Richard D. & Smith, Mark E., 1999. "Economics of Water Quality Protection from Nonpoint Sources: Theory and Practice," Agricultural Economics Reports 33913, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:arerjl:44697. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.