The macroeconomics of Trygve Haavelmo
Haavelmo’s “A study in the theory of investment” from 1960 is a tour de force in macroeconomic theorising. His later offerings in this area are less known outside Norway. In this paper, we present his models of business cycles (crises) and inflation dynamics. The business cycle model generates cycles as an endogenous outcome of the mismatch between the return to capital and investors’ required rate. Haavelmo approached inflation dynamics from two different perspectives: First, in the spirit of Knut Wicksell, he included a “cumulative process” into his business cycle model. His second formulation is related to conflict theories of inflation.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Lucas Jr., 2003. "Macroeconomic Priorities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Dave Colander & Peter Howitt & Alan Kirman & Axel Leijonhufvud & Perry Mehrling, 2008.
"Beyond DSGE Models: Toward an Empirically Based Macroeconomics,"
Middlebury College Working Paper Series
0808, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- David Colander & Peter Howitt & Alan Kirman & Axel Leijonhufvud & Perry Mehrling, 2008. "Beyond DSGE Models: Toward an Empirically Based Macroeconomics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 236-40, May.
- Chand, Sheetal K., 2012. "The Relevance of Haavelmo’s Macroeconomic Theorizing for Contemporary Policy Making," Memorandum 06/2012, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Bardsen, Gunnar & Eitrheim, Oyvind & Jansen, Eilev S. & Nymoen, Ragnar, 2005. "The Econometrics of Macroeconomic Modelling," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199246502, March.
- Mauro Boianovsky, 2002.
"Patinkin, the Cowles Commission, and the theory of unemployment and aggregate supply,"
The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 226-259.
- BOIANOVSKY, Mauro, 2001. "Patinkin, the cowles commission, and the theory of unemployment and aggregate supply," Working Papers 2001039, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"The Aftermath of Financial Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
14656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Hendry & Grayham E. Mizon, 2010. "On the Mathematical Basis of Inter-temporal Optimization," Economics Series Working Papers 497, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2009.
"When Everyone Runs for the Exit,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7436, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karl Ove Moene & Asbjorn Rodseth, 1991. "Nobel Laureate: Trygve Haavelmo," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(3), pages 175-192, Summer.
- Bjerkholt, Olav, 1998. "Interaction between model builders and policy makers in the Norwegian tradition," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 317-339, July.
- George A. Akerlof, 2009. "How Human Psychology Drives the Economy and Why It Matters," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1175-1175.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:noj:journl:v:37:y:2012:p:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Halvor Mehlum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.