Is Business Performance Related to the Adoption of Quality and Environmental-Related Standards?
We investigate the relationship between French firms’ business performance and registration of quality (QS) and environmental-related standards (ES). Using a propensity score matching method, we found that QS/ES registered firms report higher sales. However, registration is not significantly related to firms’ profits and EBITDA. Our findings also point out the possible synergy between ES and QS, that is, when implemented together, quality and environmental-related standards are more likely to be related to higher sales, profits and EBITDA than when only one of these standards is implemented. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2013
Volume (Year): 54 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra Todd, 1998. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 261-294.
- Halkos, George E, 2001. "Determinants of environmental management systems standards implementation: evidence from Greek industry," MPRA Paper 33481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McGuire, Stephen J. & Dilts, David M., 2008. "The financial impact of standard stringency: An event study of successive generations of the ISO 9000 standard," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 3-22, May.
- Brekke, Kjell Arne & Nyborg, Karine, 2008. "Attracting responsible employees: Green production as labor market screening," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 509-526, December.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra E. Todd, 1997. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(4), pages 605-654.
- Kjetil Telle, 2006.
"“It Pays to be Green” – A Premature Conclusion?,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 35(3), pages 195-220, November.
- Martinez-Costa, Micaela & Martinez-Lorente, Angel R. & Choi, Thomas Y., 2008. "Simultaneous consideration of TQM and ISO 9000 on performance and motivation: An empirical study of Spanish companies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 23-39, May.
- Black, Dan A. & Smith, J.A.Jeffrey A., 2004.
"How robust is the evidence on the effects of college quality? Evidence from matching,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 99-124.
- Dan A. Black & Jeffrey Smith, 2003. "How Robust is the Evidence on the Effects of College Quality? Evidence From Matching," University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP) Working Papers 20033, University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP).
- Mazzanti, Massimiliano & Zoboli, Roberto, 2006. "Economic instruments and induced innovation: The European policies on end-of-life vehicles," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 318-337, June.
- Greg Filbeck & Raymond Gorman, 2004. "The Relationship between the Environmental and Financial Performance of Public Utilities," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 29(2), pages 137-157, October.
- Shameek Konar & Mark A. Cohen, 2001. "Does The Market Value Environmental Performance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 281-289, May.
- Emilio Galdeano-Gómez, 2008. "Does an Endogenous Relationship Exist between Environmental and Economic Performance? A Resource-Based View on the Horticultural Sector," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(1), pages 73-89, May.
- Gilles Grolleau & Naoufel Mzoughi & Alban Thomas, 2007. "What drives agrifood firms to register for an Environmental Management System?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(2), pages 233-255, June.
- Editors, 2007. "Thomas Hardy on "Crowding Out"," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(5), pages BackCover-B, October.
- Nakamura, Masao & Takahashi, Takuya & Vertinsky, Ilan, 2001. "Why Japanese Firms Choose to Certify: A Study of Managerial Responses to Environmental Issues," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 23-52, July.
- A.M. Lima, Marcos & Resende, Marcelo & Hasenclever, Lia, 2000. "Quality certification and performance of Brazilian firms: An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 143-147, June.
- Docking, Diane Scott & Dowen, Richard J, 1999. "Market Interpretation of ISO 9000 Registration," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 147-60, Summer.
- Roeland Bracke & Tom Verbeke & Veerle Dejonckheere, 2008. "What Determines the Decision to Implement EMAS? A European Firm Level Study," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(4), pages 499-518, December.
- Kimitaka Nishitani, 2011. "An Empirical Analysis of the Effects on Firms’ Economic Performance of Implementing Environmental Management Systems," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(4), pages 569-586, April.
- Khanna, Madhu & Damon, Lisa A., 1999. "EPA's Voluntary 33/50 Program: Impact on Toxic Releases and Economic Performance of Firms," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Singh, Prakash J., 2008. "Empirical assessment of ISO 9000 related management practices and performance relationships," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 40-59, May.
- Darnall, Nicole & Henriques, Irene & Sadorsky, Perry, 2008. "Do environmental management systems improve business performance in an international setting?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 364-376, December.
- Fredriksson, Per G. & Millimet, D.L.Daniel L., 2004. "Comparative politics and environmental taxation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 705-722, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:54:y:2013:i:4:p:525-548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.