Quality Management and Job Quality: How the ISO 9001 Standard forQuality Management Systems Affects Employees and Employers
Several studies have examined how the ISO 9001 Quality Management System standard affects organizational outcomes such as profits. This is the first large-scale study to examine its effects on employee outcomes such as employment, earnings, and health and safety. We analyzed a matched sample of nearly 1,000 companies in California. ISO 9001 adopters subsequently had farlower organizational death rates than a matched control group of non-adopters. Among surviving employers, ISO adopters realized higher rates of growth of sales, employment, payroll, and average annual earnings. Injury rates also declined slightly at ISO 9001 adopters, although total injury costs did not. These results have implications for organizational theory, managers, and public policy.
|Date of creation:||18 Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2521 Channing Way # 5555, Berkeley, CA 94720-5555|
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/iir_iirwps/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barber, Brad M. & Lyon, John D., 1996. "Detecting abnormal operating performance: The empirical power and specification of test statistics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 359-399, July.
- Charles J. Corbett & María J. Montes-Sancho & David A. Kirsch, 2005. "The Financial Impact of ISO 9000 Certification in the United States: An Empirical Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(7), pages 1046-1059, July.
- Blundell, Richard William & Costa Dias, Monica & Meghir, Costas & Van Reenen, John, 2003.
"Evaluating the Employment Impact of a Mandatory Job Search Programme,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3786, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias & Costas Meghir & John Van Reenen, 2004. "Evaluating the Employment Impact of a Mandatory Job Search Program," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(4), pages 569-606, 06.
- David Fairris & Mark Brenner, 2001. "Workplace Transformation and the Rise in Cumulative Trauma Disorders: Is There a Connection?," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 22(1), pages 15-28, January.
- Kristiina Huttunen, 2007. "The Effect of Foreign Acquisition on Employment and Wages: Evidence from Finnish Establishments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 497-509, August.
- Eichler, Martin & Lechner, Michael, 2002.
"An evaluation of public employment programmes in the East German State of Sachsen-Anhalt,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 143-186, April.
- Eichler, Martin & Lechner, Michael, 1999. "An Evaluation of Public Employment Programmes in the East German State of Sachsen-Anhalt," IZA Discussion Papers 94, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Terlaak, Ann & King, Andrew A., 2006. "The effect of certification with the ISO 9000 Quality Management Standard: A signaling approach," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 579-602, August.
- Sharma, Divesh S., 2005. "The association between ISO 9000 certification and financial performance," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 151-172.
- Helper, S. & Levine, D.I. & Bendoly, E., 1999.
"Employee Involvment and Pay at U.S. and Canadian Auto Suppliers,"
71, California Berkeley - Institute of Industrial Relations.
- Susan Helper & David I. Levine & Elliot Bendoly, 2002. "Employee Involvement And Pay At Us And Canadian Auto Suppliers," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 329-377, 06.
- Helper, Susan & Levine, David I. & Bendoly, Elliott, 2000. "Employee Involvement and Pay at U.S. and Canadian Auto Suppliers," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt8t51741b, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- A. Smith, Jeffrey & E. Todd, Petra, 2005.
"Does matching overcome LaLonde's critique of nonexperimental estimators?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 305-353.
- Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 2003. "Does Matching Overcome Lalonde's Critique of Nonexperimental Estimators?," University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP) Working Papers 20035, University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP).
- Michael Spence, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-374.
- David I. Levine & Susan Helper, 1995. "A Quality Policy For America," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(2), pages 26-37, 04.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra E. Todd, 1997. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(4), pages 605-654.
- Kevin B. Hendricks & Vinod R. Singhal, 1997. "Does Implementing an Effective TQM Program Actually Improve Operating Performance? Empirical Evidence from Firms That Have Won Quality Awards," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(9), pages 1258-1274, September.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J, 1986. "Wage Setting, Unemployment, and Insider-Outsider Relations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 235-39, May.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 1998. "Causal Effects in Non-Experimental Studies: Re-Evaluating the Evaluation of Training Programs," NBER Working Papers 6586, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Greenaway & Joakim Gullstrand & Richard Kneller, 2005. "Exporting May Not Always Boost Firm Productivity," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(4), pages 561-582, December.
- McGuire, Stephen J. & Dilts, David M., 2008. "The financial impact of standard stringency: An event study of successive generations of the ISO 9000 standard," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 3-22, May.
- Docking, Diane Scott & Dowen, Richard J, 1999. "Market Interpretation of ISO 9000 Registration," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 147-60, Summer.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra Todd, 1998. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 261-294.
- Kevin B. Hendricks & Vinod R. Singhal, 1996. "Quality Awards and the Market Value of the Firm: An Empirical Investigation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 415-436, March.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2005.
"Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(1), pages 83-120, February.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2002. "Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality," Working Papers 54, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Sep 2005.
- Diane Scott Docking & Richard J. Dowen, 1999. "Market Interpretation Of Iso 9000 Registration," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 147-160, 06.
- Easton, George S & Jarrell, Sherry L, 1998. "The Effects of Total Quality Management on Corporate Performance: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(2), pages 253-307, April.
- Levine, David I, 1992. "Can Wage Increases Pay for Themselves? Tests with a Production Function," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1102-15, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:indrel:qt4p91h717. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.