Unspanned Stochastic Volatility in Affine Models: Evidence from Eurodollar Futures and Options
Unspanned stochastic volatility (USV) refers to the inability of bonds to replicate volatility-sensitive derivative securities. Affine term structure models require special restrictions on the parameters to exhibit USV. We use a joint Eurodollar futures and options data set to estimate affine three-factor models with and without USV restrictions. The unrestricted model captures prices of futures and options well. Option pricing errors are much larger in the USV model. The USV model is rejected in favor of the unrestricted model based on the likelihood ratio and Wald tests. We use the implications of the unrestricted model as a benchmark for understanding the extant evidence that favors USV. Specifically, we replicate extant tests in samples simulated from the unrestricted model. We show that none of the existing findings contradict the model without USV restrictions.
Volume (Year): 55 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2000.
"Specification Analysis of Affine Term Structure Models,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 1943-1978, October.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1998. "Specification Analysis of Affine Term Structure Models," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-083, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1997. "Specification Analysis of Affine Term Structure Models," NBER Working Papers 6128, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 2002. "Term Premia and Interest Rate Forecasts in Affine Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 405-443, 02.
- de Jong, Frank, 2000.
"Time Series and Cross-Section Information in Affine Term-Structure Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 18(3), pages 300-314, July.
- de Jong, Frank, 1999. "Time-series and Cross-section Information in Affine Term Structure Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 2065, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Andrew Kaplin & Steve Guoqiang Sun, 2001.
"An Evaluation of Multi-Factor CIR Models Using LIBOR, Swap Rates, and Cap and Swaption Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
8682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Kaplin, Andrew & Sun, Steve, 2003. "An evaluation of multi-factor CIR models using LIBOR, swap rates, and cap and swaption prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 113-146.
- Mark Broadie & Mikhail Chernov & Michael Johannes, 2007. "Model Specification and Risk Premia: Evidence from Futures Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(3), pages 1453-1490, 06.
- S, Pastorello & E, Renault & N, Touzi, 1997.
"Statistical Inference for Random Variance Option Pricing,"
97-60, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Pastorello, Sergio & Renault, Eric & Touzi, Nizar, 2000. "Statistical Inference for Random-Variance Option Pricing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(3), pages 358-67, July.
- Pastorello, S. & Renault, E. & Touzi, N., 1995. "Statistical Inference for Random Variance Option Pricing," Papers 95.403, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Lan Zhang & Per A. Mykland & Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2003.
"A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility with Noisy High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
10111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Lan & Mykland, Per A. & Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 2005. "A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility With Noisy High-Frequency Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1394-1411, December.
- Sundaresan, Suresh, 1991. "Futures Prices on Yields, Forward Prices, and Implied Forward Prices from Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 409-424, September.
- Anders B. Trolle & Eduardo S. Schwartz, 2009. "Unspanned Stochastic Volatility and the Pricing of Commodity Derivatives," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(11), pages 4423-4461, November.
- Casassus, Jaime & Collin-Dufresne, Pierre & Goldstein, Bob, 2005. "Unspanned stochastic volatility and fixed income derivatives pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 2723-2749, November.
- Hansen, Peter R. & Lunde, Asger, 2006. "Realized Variance and Market Microstructure Noise," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 127-161, April.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1998. "Answering the Skeptics: Yes, Standard Volatility Models Do Provide Accurate Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 885-905, November.
- Narasimhan Jegadeesh & George Pennacchi, 1996.
"The behavior of interest rates implied by the term structure of Eurodollar future,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Aug, pages 426-451.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Pennacchi, George G, 1996. "The Behavior of Interest Rates Implied by the Term Structure of Eurodollar Futures," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 426-46, August.
- Flesaker, Bjorn, 1993. "Testing the Heath-Jarrow-Morton/Ho-Lee Model of Interest Rate Contingent Claims Pricing," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 483-495, December.
- Jin-Chuan Duan & Jean-Guy Simonato, 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Exponential Affine Term Structure Models by Kalman Filter,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Duan, Jin-Chuan & Simonato, Jean-Guy, 1999. "Estimating and Testing Exponential-Affine Term Structure Models by Kalman Filter," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 111-35, September.
- Chernov, Mikhail & Ghysels, Eric, 2000. "A study towards a unified approach to the joint estimation of objective and risk neutral measures for the purpose of options valuation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 407-458, June.
- Chen, Ren-Raw & Scott, Louis, 2003. "Multi-factor Cox-Ingersoll-Ross Models of the Term Structure: Estimates and Tests from a Kalman Filter Model," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 143-72, September.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne & Robert S. Goldstein, 2002. "Do Bonds Span the Fixed Income Markets? Theory and Evidence for Unspanned Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1685-1730, 08.
- F. M. Bandi & J. R. Russell, 2008. "Microstructure Noise, Realized Variance, and Optimal Sampling," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(2), pages 339-369.
- Cheridito, Patrick & Filipovic, Damir & Kimmel, Robert L., 2007. "Market price of risk specifications for affine models: Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 123-170, January.
- Darrell Duffie & Jun Pan & Kenneth Singleton, 2000.
"Transform Analysis and Asset Pricing for Affine Jump-Diffusions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1343-1376, November.
- Darrell Duffie & Jun Pan & Kenneth Singleton, 1999. "Transform Analysis and Asset Pricing for Affine Jump-Diffusions," NBER Working Papers 7105, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael W. Brandt & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 2004. "Price Discovery in the U.S. Treasury Market: The Impact of Orderflow and Liquidity on the Yield Curve," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2623-2654, December.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Haitao Li & Feng Zhao, 2006. "Unspanned Stochastic Volatility: Evidence from Hedging Interest Rate Derivatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 341-378, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:55:y:2009:i:8:p:1292-1305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.