Convergence Analysis Among the Ten European Transition Economies
This paper presents the analysis of sigma (σ) and beta (β) convergences of per capita GDP among the 10 European countries which accessed the European Union in 2004. Our results confirm the existence of both types of convergence in the second half of the 1990s and the 2000s. Generally, the poorer and new EU member states grew faster than the richer new EU member states. As a result, the income gap between these two groups of countries has narrowed although it still remains quite large. The convergence occurred at the rate of 4.2% during the period 1992-2006 and 7.0% and 9.6% during the sub periods 1995-2006 and 2002-2006, respectively.
Volume (Year): 50 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +81-42-580-8000|
Web page: http://www.econ.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fischer, Stanley & Sahay, Ratna & Vegh, Carlos, 1998.
"How far is Eastern Europe from Brussels?,"
20059, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 2003.
"Determinants of Economic Growth in a Panel of Countries,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 4(2), pages 231-274, November.
- Robert J. Barro, 2003. "Determinants of Economic Growth in a Panel of Countries," CEMA Working Papers 505, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Luisa Corrado & David A. Londo–o B. & Francesco S. Mennini & Giovanni Trovato, 2003. "The Welfare States in a United Europe," European Political Economy Review, European Political Economy Infrastructure Consortium, vol. 1(Spring), pages 40-55.
- Cornelisse, Peter & Goudswaard, Kees, 2001. "On the convergence of social protection systems in the European Union," MPRA Paper 21297, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Ratna Sahay & Stanley Fischer & Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont, 1998.
"From Transition to Market; Evidence and Growth Prospects,"
IMF Working Papers
98/52, International Monetary Fund.
- Fischer, Stanley & Sahay, Ratna & Vegh, Carlos, 1998. "From transition to market: Evidence and growth prospects," MPRA Paper 20615, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Plumper, Thomas & Martin, Christian W, 2003. "Democracy, Government Spending, and Economic Growth: A Political-Economic Explanation of the Barro-Effect," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 117(1-2), pages 27-50, October.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-437.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martín & Elsa V. Artadi, 2003. "Economic growth and investment in the Arab world," Economics Working Papers 683, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ben-David, Dan, 1995.
"Trade and Convergence Among Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1126, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Urmas Varblane & Priit Vahter, 2005. "An Analysis Of The Economic Convergence Process In The Transition Countries," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 37, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Elsa V. Artadi & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2003.
"The Economic Tragedy of the XXth Century: Growth in Africa,"
NBER Working Papers
9865, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elsa V. Artadi & Xavier Sala-i-Martín, 2003. "The economic tragedy of the XXth Century: Growth in Africa," Economics Working Papers 684, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Ville Kaitila, 2004. "Convergence of real GDP per capita in the EU15. How do the Accession Countries fit in?," Economics Working Papers 025, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Hlouskova, Jaroslava & Wagner, Martin, 2002.
"The CEEC10's Real Convergence Prospects,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3318, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baumol, William J, 1986. "Productivity Growth, Convergence, and Welfare: What the Long-run Data Show," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1072-85, December.
- Kutan, Ali M. & Yigit, Taner M., 2004. "Nominal and real stochastic convergence of transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 23-36, March.
- Robert J. Barro & Rachel McCleary, 2003. "Religion and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 9682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Melo, Martha & Denizer, Cevdet & Gelb, Alan & Tenev, Stoyan, 1997. "Circumstance and choice : the role of initial conditions and policies in transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1866, The World Bank.
- International Monetary Fund, 1998. "Recovery and Growth in Transition Economies 1990â€“97; A Stylized Regression Analysis," IMF Working Papers 98/141, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hitjec:v:50:y:2009:i:2:p:17-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.