The Relevant Markets for Meat Production and Processing in the Czech Republic: Analysis of the Price Movements
The objective of this article is to apply empirical methods to delineate the relevant market for various types of meat in the Czech Republic during the period of 2006–2010. This procedure may be useful when there is little availability of micro-data and the complete SSNIP test approach is not feasible, but when the prices can be obtained at an aggregated level. The methods employed ranged from the visual assessment, simple correlation analysis and testing of the law of one price, to the more complex cointegration analysis and testing of Granger causality. The application of the methodology is used both for the geographical delineation and for the product delineation. We reach the following conclusions: For the chicken meat, the market in the Czech Republic can be considered independent both geographically and by product. For the pork meat, the relevant market includes, apart from the Czech Republic, also Germany and Slovakia. The relevant beef meat market includes the Czech Republic and Germany.
Volume (Year): 7 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://auco.cuni.cz/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Niels Haldrup & Peter Møllgaard & Claus Kastberg Nielslen, 2005.
"Sequential versus simultaneous market delineation: The relevant antitrust market for salmon,"
Economics Working Papers
2005-05, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Niels Haldrup & Peter Mollgaard & Claus Kastberg Nielsen, 2005. "Sequential Versus Simultaneous Market Delineation: The Relevant Antitrust Market for Salmon," Working Papers 05-2, Centre for Competition Policy, University of East Anglia.
- Roberto Esposti & Giulia Listorti, 2013.
"Agricultural price transmission across space and commodities during price bubbles,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(1), pages 125-139, 01.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Giulia LISTORTI, 2011. "Agricultural Price Transmission Across Space and Commodities During Price Bubbles," Working Papers 367, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Esposti, Roberto & Listorti, Giulia, 2011. "Agricultural Price Transmission Across Space and Commodities During Price Bubbles," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114338, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Slade, Margaret E, 1986. "Exogeneity Tests of Market Boundaries Applied to Petroleum Products," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 291-303, March.
- Serletis, Apostolos, 1994. "A cointegration analysis of petroleum futures prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 93-97, April.
- Javier Elizalde, 2012. "A theoretical approach to market definition analysis," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 449-475, December.
- Saran, Sandeep & Gangwar, L.S., 2008. "Analysis of Spatial Cointegration amongst Major Wholesale Egg Markets in India," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 21(2), December.
- Gjolberg, Ole & Johnsen, Thore, 1999. "Risk management in the oil industry: can information on long-run equilibrium prices be utilized?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 517-527, December.
- Sekhar, C.S.C., 2012. "Agricultural market integration in India: An analysis of select commodities," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 309-322.
- Mikael Juselius & Rune Stenbacka, 2011. "The Relevant Market for Production and Wholesale of Electricity in the Nordic Countries: An Econometric Study," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113(1), pages 167-189, 03.
- Uri, Noel D & Rifkin, Edward J, 1985. "Geographic Markets, Causality and Railroad Deregulation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 422-28, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Kjell G. Salvanes, 1997. "Market Delineation and Demand Structure," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 139-150.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Daniel L. Rubinfeld, 2010. "Econometric Issues in Antitrust Analysis," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 166(1), pages 62-77, March.
- Gloria Gonz�lez-Rivera & Steven M. Helfand, 2001. "The Extent, Pattern, and Degree of Market Integration: A Multivariate Approach for the Brazilian Rice Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 576-592.
- Walls, W. David, 1993. "A Cointegration Rank Test of Market Linkages with an Application to the U.S. Natural Gas Industry," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt6sj0961h, University of California Transportation Center.
- Wlazlowski, Szymon & Giulietti, Monica & Binner, Jane & Milas, Costas, 2009. "Price dynamics in European petroleum markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 99-108, January.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Indjehagopian, J. P. & Lantz, F. & Simon, V., 2000. "Dynamics of heating oil market prices in Europe," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 225-252, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:aucocz:au2013_178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Stastna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.