Combining participating insurance and financial policies: A new risk management instrument against natural disasters in agriculture
Purpose - The purpose of this paper is to examine a new insurance policy against natural disasters. Design/methodology/approach - The authors propose an optimisation model, which involves both the insurer and the farmer. The farmer decides to insure his farm if and only if insurance improves the utility he is expecting over a given year. Therefore, the paper takes the perspective of an insurer who wants to maximise the farmer's wealth, so that he will be more likely to subscribe the policy. The choice and combination of the policies are then determined and designed by the insurer to reach that aim. Findings - The paper proves that the market for insurance could grow with a combination of participating contracts and market-based instruments. The first cover individual risks while the second cover systematic risks. Practical implications - The new policy leads both the insurer to manage small and large risks and the insured to be financially interested. It also provides an optimal coverage against natural events for insured farmers. Originality/value - The paper offers many perspectives for the renewal of the crop insurance market using new instruments.
Volume (Year): 72 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=afr Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry Smit & Mark Skinner, 2002. "Adaptation options in agriculture to climate change: a typology," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 85-114, March.
- Neil A. Doherty & Harris Schlesinger, 2001. "Insurance Contracts and Securitization," CESifo Working Paper Series 559, CESifo Group Munich.
- Xavier Giné & Robert Townsend & James Vickery, 2007.
"Statistical Analysis of Rainfall Insurance Payouts in Southern India,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1248-1254.
- Gine, Xavier & Townsend, Robert & Vickery, James, 2007. "Statistical analysis of rainfall insurance payouts in southern India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4426, The World Bank.
- Olivier Mahul, 2001. "Managing Catastrophic Risk Through Insurance and Securitization," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 656-661.
- Bharat Ramaswami & Terry L. Roe, 2004. "Aggregation in Area-Yield Crop Insurance: The Linear Additive Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 420-431.
- Barry K. Goodwin, 2001. "Problems with Market Insurance in Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 643-649.
- Doherty, Neil A & Dionne, Georges, 1993. "Insurance with Undiversifiable Risk: Contract Structure and Organizational Form of Insurance Firms," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 187-203, April.
- Pauline Barrieu & Nicole El Karoui, 2002. "Reinsuring Climatic Risk Using Optimally Designed Weather Bonds," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 27(2), pages 87-113, December.
- Schlesinger, Harris, 1999. "Decomposing catastrophic risk," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 95-101, March.
- Marshall, John M, 1974. "Insurance Theory: Reserves versus Mutuality," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(4), pages 476-492, December.
- Joseph W. Glauber, 2004. "Crop Insurance Reconsidered," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1179-1195.
- Raviv, Artur, 1979. "The Design of an Optimal Insurance Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 84-96, March.
- John Duncan & Robert J. Myers, 2000. "Crop Insurance under Catastrophic Risk," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 842-855. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:afrpps:v:72:y:2012:i:1:p:156-178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.