How Should We Value Agricultural Insurance Contracts
We argue that existing agricultural insurance valuation models are limited either because they are not complete equilibrium models that price the non-diversifiable risk involved in issuing insurance contracts, or they assume complete markets which appears at odds with most applications of agricultural insurance. We also propose two new incomplete market models and derive an insurance valuation formula for each under the assumption of constant relative risk aversion preferences and lognormally distributed random variables. The two models differ in the way they treat trade in insurance contracts, with one model allowing insurers and insureds to trade freely on a liquid secondary market, while the other requires insurance firms to act as brokers between insureds (farmers) and the capital market (those who bear the non-diversifiable risk). The two models lead to different valuation formulas and several interesting insights are obtained by comparing our valuation formulas with those used in the existing literature.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Constantinides, George M & Duffie, Darrell, 1996.
"Asset Pricing with Heterogeneous Consumers,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(2), pages 219-240, April.
- Constantinides,George & Duffie,Darrel, 1992. "Asset pricing with heterogeneous consumers," Discussion Paper Serie A 381, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Rubinstein, Mark, 1994. " Implied Binomial Trees," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 771-818, July.
- Calum G. Turvey & Vincent Amanor-Boadu, 1989. "Evaluating Premiums for a Farm Income Insurance Policy," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 37(2), pages 233-247, 07.
- Shihong Yin & Calum G. Turvey, 2003. "The Pricing of Revenue Assurance: Comment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 1062-1065.
- Jeffrey R. Stokes & William I. Nayda, 2003. "The Pricing of Revenue Assurance: Reply," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 1066-1069.
- Jeffrey R. Stokes & William I. Nayda & Burton C. English, 1997. "The Pricing of Revenue Assurance," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 439-451.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Mark Rubinstein., 1994. "Implied Binomial Trees," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-232, University of California at Berkeley.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-1445, November.
- John Duncan & Robert J. Myers, 2000. "Crop Insurance under Catastrophic Risk," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 842-855.
- Mario J. Miranda & Joseph W. Glauber, 1997. "Systemic Risk, Reinsurance, and the Failure of Crop Insurance Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 206-215.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Manfredo, Mark R. & Sanders, Dwight R., 2004. "Pricing Weather Derivatives," Working Papers 28536, Arizona State University, Morrison School of Agribusiness and Resource Management. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)