The influence of (toll-related) travel costs in residential location decisions of households: A stated choice approach
In this paper, we investigate the impact of travel costs, in particular toll costs, on the residential location choice of households, using a stated choice survey. Within the stated choice experiment, car drivers that frequently face traffic congestion, traded-off several trip-related (including toll costs) and house/location-related factors in their decision where to locate. If we look at the influence of different variables, toll and fuel costs seem to be important. Respondents are more sensitive to travel costs (i.e. toll and fuel costs) than to equally high (monthly) housing costs. Travel time appears to play a less important role, as indicated by a low value of time (VOT). In addition, location-related factors, such as the type of location and the number of bedrooms, turn out to be important factors as well. It can be concluded that respondents generally speaking prefer to pay higher housing costs and accept longer travel times to avoid (high) travel costs. Finally, if we look at the difference in preferences in relation to toll and fuel cost, we can conclude that toll costs are valued more negatively than fuel costs, although the differences are small.
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 10 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hensher, 2001. "The valuation of commuter travel time savings for car drivers: evaluating alternative model specifications," Transportation, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 101-118, May.
- Weinberg, Daniel H., 1979. "The determinants of intra-urban household mobility," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2-3), pages 219-246.
- H Timmermans & L van Noortwijk & H Oppewal & P van der Waerden, 1996.
"Modeling constrained choice behaviour in regulated housing markets by means of discrete choice experiments and universal logit models: an application to the residential choice behaviour of divorcees,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(6), pages 1095-1112, June.
- H Timmermans & L van Noortwijk & H Oppewal & P van der Waerden, 1996. "Modeling Constrained Choice Behaviour in Regulated Housing Markets by Means of Discrete Choice Experiments and Universal Logit Models: An Application to the Residential Choice Behaviour of Divorcees," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 28(6), pages 1095-1112, June.
- David Hensher & William Greene, 2003. "The Mixed Logit model: The state of practice," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 133-176, May.
- Zax, Jeffrey S. & Kain, John F., 1991. "Commutes, quits, and moves," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 153-165, March.
- David Revelt & Kenneth Train, 1998. "Mixed Logit With Repeated Choices: Households' Choices Of Appliance Efficiency Level," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 647-657, November.
- Still, B. G. & May, A. D. & Bristow, A. L., 1999. "The assessment of transport impacts on land use: practical uses in strategic planning," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 83-98, April.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Rämme, Ulf, 2009. "Congestion charges and retail revenues: Results from the Stockholm road pricing trial," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 306-309, March.
- Calfee, John & Winston, Clifford, 1998. "The value of automobile travel time: implications for congestion policy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 83-102, July.
- van Ommeren, Jos & Fosgerau, Mogens, 2008.
"Workers' marginal costs of commuting,"
12010, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mogens Fosgerau, 2004.
"Investigating the distribution of the value of travel time savings,"
- Fosgerau, Mogens, 2006. "Investigating the distribution of the value of travel time savings," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 688-707, September.
- Mogens Fosgerau, 2004. "Investigating the distribution of the value of travel time savings," Urban/Regional 0410005, EconWPA, revised 25 Nov 2004.
- Clark, William A. V. & Huang, Youqin & Withers, Suzanne, 2003. "Does commuting distance matter?: Commuting tolerance and residential change," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 199-221, March.
- Mattsson, Lars-Goeran & Sjoelin, Lina, 2002. "Transport and location effects of a ring road with or without road pricing," ERSA conference papers ersa02p056, European Regional Science Association.
- Giuliano, Genevieve, 1989. "New Directions for Understanding Transportation and Land Use," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt72f0362d, University of California Transportation Center.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D., 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, November.
- Patricio E. Pérez & Francisco J. Martínez & Juan de Dios Ortúzar, 2003. "Microeconomic Formulation and Estimation of a Residential Location Choice Model: Implications for the Value of Time," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 771-789.
- May, A. D. & Milne, D. S., 2000. "Effects of alternative road pricing systems on network performance," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 407-436, August.
- van Ommeren, Jos & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 1999. "Job Moving, Residential Moving, and Commuting: A Search Perspective," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 230-253, September.
- Hensher, David A., 2006. "Towards a practical method to establish comparable values of travel time savings from stated choice experiments with differing design dimensions," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 829-840, December.
- Anas, Alex & Xu, Rong, 1999. "Congestion, Land Use, and Job Dispersion: A General Equilibrium Model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 451-473, May.
- van Ommeren, Jos & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 1997. "Commuting: In Search of Jobs and Residences," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 402-421, November.
- Glaister, Stephen & Graham, Daniel J., 2005. "An evaluation of national road user charging in England," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 632-650.
- Phang, Sock-Yong & Toh, Rex S., 1997. "From manual to electronic road congestion pricing: The Singapore experience and experiment," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 97-106, June.
- Jan Rouwendal & Erik Meijer, 2001. "Preferences for Housing, Jobs, and Commuting: A Mixed Logit Analysis," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 475-505.
- Kim, Chansung, 2008. "Commuting time stability: A test of a co-location hypothesis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 524-544, March.
- Jonas Eliasson & Lars-Göran Mattsson, 2001. "Transport and Location Effects of Road Pricing: A Simulation Approach," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 35(3), pages 417-456, September.
- Mun, Se-il & Konishi, Ko-ji & Yoshikawa, Kazuhiro, 2005. "Optimal cordon pricing in a non-monocentric city," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 723-736.
- Mokhtarian, Patricia L. & Chen, Cynthia, 2004. "TTB or not TTB, that is the question: a review and analysis of the empirical literature on travel time (and money) budgets," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(9-10), pages 643-675.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:44:y:2010:i:10:p:785-796. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.