Low-wage employment in Portugal: a mixed logit approach
In this paper, we examine the determinants of low-wage employment in Portugal. For this purpose, we use a data file of the European Community Household Panel (ECHP) for the years 1998 and 1999. In order to take into account unobserved heterogeneity in the data, a random-parameter logit model is used to analyse the probability of a worker receiving a low wage. The results indicate that the consideration that the effects of the explanatory variables are the same across all individuals, such as is assumed in most of the literature may be misleading. From the policy perspective, this implies that the use of a single instrument in order to combat low-wage employment is inappropriate to satisfy the whole population. In view of this, policies tailored by clusters would be more appropriate.
|Date of creation:||05 Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on windows; pages: 22. documented submitted via ftp|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rannia Leontaridi & Peter Sloane, 2001. "Measuring The Quality Of Jobs," LoWER Working Papers wp7, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- Daniel McFadden & Kenneth Train, 2000. "Mixed MNL models for discrete response," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 447-470.
- Lorenzo Cappellari, 1999. "Low-Wage Mobility in the Italian Labour Market," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 531, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Kenneth Train, 2003. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Online economics textbooks, SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2, March.
- Jan Rouwendal & Erik Meijer, 2001. "Preferences for Housing, Jobs, and Commuting: A Mixed Logit Analysis," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 475-505.
- Stewart, M.B. & Swaffield, J.K., 1997.
"Low Pay Dynamics and Transition Probabilities,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
495, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- José Cabral Vieira, 2005. "Low-wage mobility in the Portuguese labour market," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 1-14, 04.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute, 1998. "Earnings Inequality in Portugal: High and Rising?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(3), pages 325-43, September.
- David Revelt & Kenneth Train, 1998. "Mixed Logit With Repeated Choices: Households' Choices Of Appliance Efficiency Level," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 647-657, November.
- Andrew Chesher & J. M. C. Santos Silva, 2002.
"Taste Variation in Discrete Choice Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 147-168.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpla:0508001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.