Inter-Industry Wage Differentials in Ireland
This paper investigates inter-industry wage differentials in Ireland, taking advantage of access to a dataset that is uniquely suitable for this purpose, the 1996 Structure of Earnings Survey. This allows us to measure not simply overall differentials in the average wage across sectors, but also the extent to which these are associated with a range of employee, job, employer and sectoral characteristics. The results show that there are substantial differences in earnings across industrial sectors in Ireland, predominantly but not only reflecting differences in measured human capital of workers and attributes of their jobs. While unobserved individual and job characteristics may underpin the remaining differentials, efficiency wage or rent-sharing could also be playing a role. Including a range of firm and sectoral characteristics relevant to the latter does not markedly alter the scale of inter-industry differentials, but firm fixed effects seem important. The dispersion of wages across industries, controlling for observed employee, job and employer characteristics, is quite high in Ireland compared to other industrialised countries.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trostel, P. & Walker, I., 2000.
"Education and Work,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
554, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Hartog, Joop & Leuven, Edwin & Teulings, Coen N, 1997.
"Wages and the Bargaining Regime in a Corporatist Setting: The Netherlands,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1706, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hartog, Joop & Leuven, Edwin & Teulings, Coen, 2002. "Wages and the bargaining regime in a corporatist setting: the Netherlands," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 317-331, June.
- Joop Hartog & Edwin Leuven & Coen N. Teulings, 2000. "Wages and the Bargaining Regime in a Corporist Setting: The Netherlands," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-013/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Tim Callan, 1991. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Ireland," Papers WP028, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Barrett, Alan & Fitz Gerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2000.
"Earnings Inequality, Returns to Education and Immigration into Ireland,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2493, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barrett, Alan & FitzGerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Earnings inequality, returns to education and immigration into Ireland," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 665-680, November.
- Barrett, Alan & FitzGerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2000. "Earnings Inequality, Returns to Education and Immigration into Ireland," IZA Discussion Papers 167, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Giovanni Ferro-Luzzi, 1994. "Inter-Industry Wage Differentials in Switzerland," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 130(III), pages 421-443, September.
- Callan, Tim & Barry Reilly, 1992. "Unions and the wage distribution in Ireland," Discussion Papers in Economics 18/92, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Teulings,Coen & Hartog,Joop, 2008.
"Corporatism or Competition?,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521049399, June.
- Callan, Tim & Harmon, Colm, 1999.
"The economic return to schooling in Ireland,"
Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 543-550, November.
- Kevin Reilly & Luisa Zanchi, 2002. "Industry Wage Differentials: How Many, Big and Significant Are They?," Labor and Demography 0209001, EconWPA.
- William T. Dickens & Lawrence F. Katz, 1987. "Inter-Industry Wage Differences and Theories of Wage Determination," NBER Working Papers 2271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan B. Krueger & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Reflections on the Inter-Industry Wage Structure," NBER Working Papers 1968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Walsh, Frank, 1999.
"A Multisector Model of Efficiency Wages,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 351-76, April.
- François Rycx & Ilan Tojerow, 2007.
"Inter-industry wage differentials: What do we know?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/138900, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- François Rycx & Ilan Tojerow, 2007. "Inter-Industry Wage Differentials: What Do We Know?," Reflets et perspectives de la vie économique, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(2), pages 13-22.
- Mahmood Araï & Gérard Ballot & Ali Skalli, 1996. "Différentiels intersectoriels de salaire et caractéristiques des employeurs en France," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 299(1), pages 37-58.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Callan, Tim & Layte, Richard & Van Soest, Arthur & Walsh, John R., 2003. "Taxes, Benefits and Labour Market Responses: New Evidence for," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS48.
- Vainiomaki, Jari & Laaksonen, Seppo, 1995. "Inter-industry wage differentials in Finland: Evidence from longitudinal census data for 1975-85," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 161-173, June.
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric, 1999. "Persistence of Interindustry Wage Differentials: A Reexamination Using Matched Worker-Firm Panel Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(3), pages 492-533, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:35:y:2004:i:2:p:157-182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.