Defining efficient policies in a general equilibrium model: a multi-objective approach
Macroeconomic policy makers are typically concerned with several indicators of economic performance. We thus propose to tackle the design of macroeconomic policy using Multicriteria Decision Making (MCDM) techniques. More specifically, we employ Multi-objective Programming (MP) to seek so-called efficient policies. The MP approach is combined with a computable general equilibrium (CGE) model. We chose use of a CGE model since it has the dual advantage of being consistent with standard economic theory while allowing one to measure the effect(s) of a specific policy with real data. Applying the proposed methodology to Spain (via the 1995 Social Accounting Matrix) we first quantified the trade-offs between two specific policy objectives: growth and inflation, when designing fiscal policy. We then constructed a frontier of efficient policies involving real growth and inflation. In doing so, we found that policy in 1995 Spain displayed some degree of inefficiency with respect to these two policy objectives. We then offer two sets of policy recommendations that, ostensibly, could have helped Spain at the time. The first deals with efficiency independent of the importance given to both growth and inflation by policy makers (we label this set: general policy recommendations). A second set depends on which policy objective is seen as more important by policy makers: increasing growth or controlling inflation (we label this one: objective-specific recommendations).
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel, Steven A. & Faria, Jose A. & Moglen, Glenn E., 2006. "A multiobjective optimization approach to smart growth in land development," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 212-248, September.
- Fernandez, Elena & Puerto, Justo, 2003. "Multiobjective solution of the uncapacitated plant location problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 145(3), pages 509-529, March.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Clemente Polo & Ferran Sancho, 1994.
"An evaluation of the performance of an applied general equilibrium model of the Spanish economy,"
480, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Polo, Clemente & Sancho, Ferran, 1995. "An Evaluation of the Performance of an Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Spanish Economy," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 6(1), pages 115-41, June.
- Schafer, Andreas & Jacoby, Henry D., 2005. "Technology detail in a multisector CGE model: transport under climate policy," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Willenbockel, Dirk, 2004. "Specification choice and robustness in CGE trade policy analysis with imperfect competition," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1065-1099, December.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521319867, November.
- Hung, Ming-Lung & Yang, Wan-Fa & Ma, Hwong-Wen & Yang, Ya-Mei, 2006. "A novel multiobjective programming approach dealing with qualitative and quantitative objectives for environmental management," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 584-593, April.
- Nicolaas Groenewold & Alfred Hagger & John Madden, 2003.
"Interregional transfers: A political-economy CGE approach,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 82(4), pages 535-554, November.
- Nicolaas Groenewold & Alfred Hagger & John Madden, 2003. "Interregional transfers: A political-economy CGE approach," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 82(4), pages 535-554, November.
- Yao, Shujie & Liu, Aying, 2000. "Policy Analysis in a General Equilibrium Framework," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 589-610, September.
- Francisco André & M. Cardenete & Esther Velázquez, 2005.
"Performing an environmental tax reform in a regional economy. A computable general equilibrium approach,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 39(2), pages 375-392, 06.
- Francisco J. AndrÃ© & M. Alejandro Cardenete, 2004. "Performing an Environmental Tax Reform in a Regional Economy: A Computable General Equilibrium Approach," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 115, Society for Computational Economics.
- Francisco J. André & M. Alejandro Cardenete & Esther Velázquez Alonso, 2004. "Performing an Environmental Tax Reform in a Regional Economy. A Computable General Equilibrium Approach," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/04, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Doerner, K.F. & Gutjahr, W.J. & Hartl, R.F. & Strauss, C. & Stummer, C., 2006. "Pareto ant colony optimization with ILP preprocessing in multiobjective project portfolio selection," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 171(3), pages 830-841, June.
- Gabriel, Steven A. & Kumar, Satheesh & Ordonez, Javier & Nasserian, Amirali, 2006. "A multiobjective optimization model for project selection with probabilistic considerations," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 297-313, December.
- P. L. Yu, 1973. "A Class of Solutions for Group Decision Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(8), pages 936-946, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:43:y:2009:i:3:p:192-200. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.