Designing Efficient Policies in a Regional Economy. A MCDM-CGE Approach
Since policy makers usually pursue several conflicting objectives, policy making can be understood as a multicriteria decision problem. Following the methodological proposal in André and Cardenete (2005), we use multiobjective programming in connection with a computable general equilibrium model to represent optimal policy making and to get so-called efficient policies in an application to a regional economy (Andalusia, Spain). We illustrate the solution of two bicriteria problems (unemployment vs. inflation and growth vs. unemployment) from which we get a new reading of two classical results: the Phillips curve and the Okun law. Finally, we enlarge the scope of the exercise by solving a problem with five objectives and discuss the efficient solutions that can be obtained in this context.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (34) 955 055 210
Fax: (34) 955 055 211
Web page: http://www.centrodeestudiosandaluces.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Clemente Polo & Ferran Sancho, 1994.
"An evaluation of the performance of an applied general equilibrium model of the Spanish economy,"
480, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Polo, Clemente & Sancho, Ferran, 1995. "An Evaluation of the Performance of an Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Spanish Economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 115-41, June.
- Francisco André & M. Cardenete & Esther Velázquez, 2005.
"Performing an environmental tax reform in a regional economy. A computable general equilibrium approach,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 375-392, 06.
- Francisco J. André & M. Alejandro Cardenete & Esther Velázquez Alonso, 2004. "Performing an Environmental Tax Reform in a Regional Economy. A Computable General Equilibrium Approach," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/04, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Francisco J. AndrÃ© & M. Alejandro Cardenete, 2004. "Performing an Environmental Tax Reform in a Regional Economy: A Computable General Equilibrium Approach," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 115, Society for Computational Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521266550 is not listed on IDEAS
- M. Alejandro Cardenete & Ferran Sancho, 2002. "An Applied General Equilibrium Model to Assess the Impact of National Tax Changes on a Regional Economy," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2002/13, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521319867 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, March.
- Francisco J. André & Manuel Alejandro Cardenete, 2005. "Multicriteria Policy Making. Defining Efficient Policies in a General Equilibrium Model," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2005/04, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cea:doctra:e2006_03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Susana Mérida)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.