Interregional transfers: A political-economy CGE approach
We model the effects of changes in a federal government’s inter-regional transfers within the context of a CGE model of a federal system in which regional governments act to maximise the welfare of the residents of their region subject to the effects of their decision on regional economic outcomes. Regional governments are modelled as players in a non-cooperative game. Simulations are conducted with six versions of a small two-region model, each calibrated for a particular Australian state and the rest of the nation. We show that a change in the level of transfers has little influence on per-capita private consumption, government consumption and welfare, and that its main effect is to induce migration from the donor region to the recipient region. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2003
Volume (Year): 82 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10101/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison, W Jill & Pearson, K R, 1996.
"Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 9(2), pages 83-127, May.
- W. Jill Harrison & K.R. Pearson, 1994. "Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-64, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Ross Garnaut, 2002. "Equity and Australian Development: Lessons from the First Century," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 35(3), pages 227-243.
- WILDASIN, David, .
"Nash equilibria in models of fiscal competition,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
804, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Morgan, William & Mutti, John & Rickman, Dan, 1996. "Tax Exporting, Regional Economic Growth, and Welfare," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 131-159, March.
- Hoyt William H., 1993. "Tax Competition, Nash Equilibria, and Residential Mobility," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 358-379, November.
- Jones, Rich & Whalley, John, 1989. "A Canadian regional general equilibrium model and some applications," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 368-404, May.
- MINTZ, Jack & TULKENS, Henry, .
"Commodity tax competition between member states of a federation: equilibrium and efficiency,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
693, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mintz, Jack & Tulkens, Henry, 1986. "Commodity tax competition between member states of a federation: equilibrium and efficiency," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 133-172, March.
- Mintz, J. & Tulkens, H., 1984. "Commodity tax competition between member states of a federation: equilibrium and efficiency," CORE Discussion Papers 1984027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pissarides, Christopher A & McMaster, Ian, 1990. "Regional Migration, Wages and Unemployment: Empirical Evidence and Implications for Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 812-31, October.
- Petchey, Jeffrey, 1995. "Resource Rents, Cost Differences and Fiscal Equalization," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 71(215), pages 343-53, December.
- Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 1998. "Regional Computable General Equilibrium Modeling: A Survey and Critical Appraisal," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 21(3), pages 205-248, December.
- Laussel, Didier & Le Breton, Michel, 1998. "Existence of Nash equilibria in fiscal competition models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 283-296, May.
- Pissarides, Christopher A & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 1989. "Unemployment and the Inter-regional Mobility of Labour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 739-55, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:ecogov:v:82:y:2003:i:4:p:535-554. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.