Related diversification and R&D intensity dynamics
Using longitudinal data of Spanish manufacturing companies, we study the dynamic, bidirectional relationship between firm research and development (R&D) intensity and corporate diversification in an organic growth setting. Our empirical approach accounts for the different sources of endogeneity. Although we find a positive linear effect of R&D intensity on related diversification, the effect of related diversification on R&D intensity assumes the form of an inverted U. Thus, the effect of related diversification on R&D intensity is positive, but marginally decreases for moderate levels of related diversification. Such an effect can become negative, however, for high levels of related diversification. Additionally, as a consequence of dynamics, the effects after one year are substantially lower than the overall effects that occur over several years.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard A. Bettis & Vijay Mahajan, 1985. "Risk/Return Performance of Diversified Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(7), pages 785-799, July.
- Olympia Bover & Manuel Arellano, 1997. "Estimating limited dependent variable models from panel data," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 21(2), pages 141-166, May.
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Brian S. Silverman, 1999. "Technological Resources and the Direction of Corporate Diversification: Toward an Integration of the Resource-Based View and Transaction Cost Economics," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(8), pages 1109-1124, August.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- César ALONSO-BORREGO & Dolores COLLADO, 2002.
"Innovation and Job Creation and Destruction : Evidence from Spain,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
2002024, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- César Alonso-Borrego & Dolores Collado, 2002. "Innovation and Job Creation and Destruction . Evidence from Spain," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 68(1), pages 148-168.
- M. Dolores Collado, 2001. "Innovation And Job Creation And Destruction: Evidence From Spain," Working Papers. Serie AD 2001-25, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Alonso-Borrego, César & Collado, M. Dolores, 2001. "Innovation and job creation and destruction : evidence from Spain," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS ws013824, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, .
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Rachel Davis & L. G. Thomas, 1993. "Direct Estimation of Synergy: A New Approach to the Diversity-Performance Debate," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(11), pages 1334-1346, November.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Constance E. Helfat, 1994. "Firm-Specificity in Corporate Applied R&D," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(2), pages 173-184, May.
- Helfat, C.E. & Raubitschek, R.S., 2000. "Product Sequencing: Co-Evolution of Knowledge, Capabilities and Products," Papers 00-1, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- James J. Heckman, 1977.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
NBER Working Papers
0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1978. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- Lecraw, Donald J, 1984. "Diversification Strategy and Performance," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 179-98, December.
- Sayan Chatterjee & Jagdip Singh, 1999. "Are Tradeoffs Inherent in Diversification Moves? A Simultaneous Model for Type of Diversification and Mode of Expansion Decisions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(1), pages 25-41, January.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Teece, David J., 1982. "Towards an economic theory of the multiproduct firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 39-63, March.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-69, June.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1984. "Tobit models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 3-61.
- Montgomery, Cynthia A. & Hariharan, S., 1991. "Diversified expansion by large established firms," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 71-89, January.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Rongxin Chen, 1996. "Technological Expansion: the Interaction Between Diversification Strategy and Organizational Capability," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(5), pages 649-666, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:39:y:2010:i:4:p:537-548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.