Congestion pricing and long term urban form: Application to Paris region
We propose an efficient algorithm that solves urban equilibrium with traffic congestion. The procedure we propose is based on the monocentric model, but we illustrate how it can be used in the case of more than one business center. As a case study we focus on the region of Paris and discuss the impacts of road pricing on urban form. Among road pricing schemes, we consider the linear toll (proportional to traveled distance) and cordon toll (a toll paid once the driver crosses a given border). Both schemes are compared to the no toll case (actual situation) and to the first-best (where total costs in the city are minimized). The linear toll is equivalent to an increase in the vehicle operating cost. It performs well with respect to the first-best solution but, since it applies identically to all trips, it is not likely to be relevant in practice. By comparison to the no-toll situation, optimal congestion pricing reduces the radius of the city and the average travel distance by 34% and 15%, respectively.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thorsnes, Paul, 1997. "Consistent Estimates of the Elasticity of Substitution between Land and Non-Land Inputs in the Production of Housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 98-108, July.
- Anas, Alex & Pines, David, 2008. "Anti-sprawl policies in a system of congested cities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 408-423, September.
- de Palma, André & Lindsey, Robin, 2006. "Modelling and evaluation of road pricing in Paris," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 115-126, March.
- Baum-Snow, Nathaniel, 2007. "Suburbanization and transportation in the monocentric model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 405-423, November.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1977. "Cost-benefit analysis and the second best land use for transportation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 483-503, October.
- McMillen, Daniel P. & Jarmin, Ronald & Thorsnes, Paul, 1992. "Selection bias and land development in the monocentric city model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 273-284, May.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2007.
"Urban growth boundaries: An effective second-best remedy for unpriced traffic congestion?,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 263-273, November.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2005. "Urban Growth Boundaries: An Effective Second-Best Remedy for Unpriced Traffic Congestion?," Working Papers 050610, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Erik Verhoef, 2004.
"Second-best Congestion Pricing Schemes in the Monocentric City,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p408, European Regional Science Association.
- Verhoef, Erik T., 2005. "Second-best congestion pricing schemes in the monocentric city," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 367-388, November.
- Mun, Se-il & Konishi, Ko-ji & Yoshikawa, Kazuhiro, 2003. "Optimal cordon pricing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 21-38, July.
- Arnott, Richard J., 1979. "Unpriced transport congestion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 294-316, October.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1980. "Theories of urban externalities," MPRA Paper 24614, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel, Joseph I. & Bekka, Khalid, 2000. "The Environmental Impact of Highway Congestion Pricing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 180-215, March.
- Wheaton, William C., 1998. "Land Use and Density in Cities with Congestion," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 258-272, March.
- Mills, Edwin S & Ferranti, David M, 1971. "Market Choices and Optimum City Size," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 340-45, May.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521346627 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robson, Arthur J., 1976. "Cost-benefit analysis and the use of urban land for transportation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 180-191, April.
- Georgina Santos & Gordon Fraser, 2006. "Road pricing: lessons from London," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(46), pages 263-310, 04.
- Brueckner, Jan & Selod, Harris, 2004.
"The Political Economy of Urban Transport System Choice,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4682, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Selod, Harris, 2006. "The political economy of urban transport-system choice," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 983-1005, August.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Harris SELOD, 2006. "The political economy of urban transport-system choice," Working Papers 10220, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Jan Rouwendal & Willemijn Weijschede- v.d. Straaten, 2008. "The costs and benefits of providing open space in cities," CPB Discussion Paper 98, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Riley, John G., 1974. "Optimal residential density and road transportation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 230-249, April.
- Arnott, Richard J & MacKinnon, James G, 1978.
"Market and Shadow Land Rents with Congestion,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 68(4), pages 588-600, September.
- Boarnet Marlon G., 1994. "The Monocentric Model and Employment Location," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 79-97, July.
- DePalma, Elijah & Arnott, Richard, 2011. "Morning Commute in a Single-Entry Traffic Corridor with No Late Arrivals," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt1h2604ft, University of California Transportation Center.
- Robert M. Solow, 1973. "Congestion Cost and the Use of Land for Streets," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(2), pages 602-618, Autumn.
- Jan Rouwendal & J. Willemijn van der Straaten, 2008. "The Costs and Benefits of Providing Open Space in Cities," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-001/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- de Palma, André & Kilani, Moez & Lindsey, Robin, 2005. "Congestion pricing on a road network: A study using the dynamic equilibrium simulator METROPOLIS," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 588-611.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:43:y:2013:i:2:p:282-295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.