Morning Commute in a Single-Entry Traffic Corridor with No Late Arrivals
This paper analyzes a model of early morning traffic congestion, that is a special case of the model considered in Newell (1988). A fixed number of identical vehicles travel along a single-lane road of constant width from a common origin to a common destination, with LWR flow congestion and Greenshieldsâ€™ Relation. Vehicles have a common work start time, late arrivals are not permitted, and trip cost is linear in travel time and time early. The paper explores traffic dynamics for the Social Optimum, in which total trip cost is minimized, and for the User Optimum, in which no vehicleâ€™s trip cost can be reduced by altering its departure time. Analytical and, when possible, closed-form solutions are presented, along with numerical examples.
|Date of creation:||04 Feb 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 109 McLaughlin Hall, Mail Code 1720, Berkeley, CA 94720-1720|
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/uctc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1990.
"Economics of a bottleneck,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 111-130, January.
- Richard Arnott & Andre de Palma & Robin Lindsey, 1985. "Economics of a Bottleneck," Working Papers 636, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Arnott, Richard & DePalma, Elijah, 2011. "The corridor problem: Preliminary results on the no-toll equilibrium," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(5), pages 743-768, June.
- Richard Arnott & Elijah DePalma, 2010. "The Corridor Problem: Preliminary Results on the No-toll Equilibrium," Working Papers 201003, University of California at Riverside, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2010.
- Vickrey, William S, 1969. "Congestion Theory and Transport Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 251-260, May.
- Small, Kenneth A, 1982. "The Scheduling of Consumer Activities: Work Trips," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 467-479, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)