Implications of mandatory labeling of GM food in India: Evidence from the supply side
We assess the supply-side economic implications of introducing a strict mandatory labeling policy for genetically modified (GM) food in India as proposed in 2006. We apply our analysis to the case of cottonseed oil and soybean oil, two products that would be the first affected by such regulation. We find that GM food labeling would generate adjustment and implementation costs and consumer benefits would not always be visible and would highly depend on the degree of enforcement.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vijesh V. Krishna & Matin Qaim, 2008. "Consumer Attitudes toward GM Food and Pesticide Residues in India," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 233-251.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Hine, Susan, 2004. "Preferences and willingness to pay for GM labeling policies," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 467-483, October.
- Lin, William W. & Somwaru, Agapi & Tuan, Francis C. & Huang, Jikun & Bai, Junfei, 2005. "Consumers' Willingness to Pay for Biotech Foods in China," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19569, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sangeeta Bansal & Sujoy Chakravarty & Bharat Ramaswami, . "Weak Aversion to GM Foods: Experimental Evidence from India," Centre for International Trade and Development, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi Discussion Papers 10-02, Centre for International Trade and Development, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
- Guillaume P. Gruère & Colin A. Carter & Y. Hossein Farzin, 2008. "What labelling policy for consumer choice? The case of genetically modified food in Canada and Europe," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1472-1497, November.
- Dai, Yingchun & Tuan, Francis C. & Lin, William W. & Zhong, Funing & Chen, Xi, 2006. "How does Biotech Labeling Affect Consumers' Purchasing Behavior? A Case Study of Vegetable Oils in Nanjing, China," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21235, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Anand Alok & Mittelhammer Ron C & McCluskey Jill J, 2007. "Consumer Response to Information and Second-Generation Genetically Modified Food in India," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-20, October.
- Roe, Brian & Teisl, Mario F., 2007. "Genetically modified food labeling: The impacts of message and messenger on consumer perceptions of labels and products," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 49-66, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:37:y:2012:i:4:p:467-472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.