Sectoral equity returns in the Euro region: Is there any room for reducing portfolio risk?
Economic integration among Euro members has important consequences for factors driving asset pricing and asset trading within the financial markets. In particular, since the start of the EMU, cross-country equity index correlations in the region have shown upward trends and domestic investors have allocated their portfolios mostly within the region. We study the impact of these recent structural changes on the Euro-wide sectoral equity indices. We model the return and volatility of the Euro sector equity indices between 1992 and 2007. We find that aggregate world equity or global sector equity indices have not affected the sector equity indices since the beginning of the Euro. The aggregate Euro equity index, however, still affects most of the sector equity indices, even though its effect declines remarkably for some sectors. In particular, we find that financial sector equity indices (financial services, insurance, and banking) are being increasingly affected by the aggregate Euro equity index fluctuations observed after the start of the EMU. However, some “basic industry sector” indices, including basic resources, food and beverages, health-care, retail services, oil and gas, and utility become less dependent on the aggregate Euro equity index since the start of the EMU, suggesting that diversification across these sectors within the region would be much more effective for reducing portfolio risk.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 63 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconbus|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Suk Joong & Moshirian, Fariborz & Wu, Eliza, 2005. "Dynamic stock market integration driven by the European Monetary Union: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2475-2502, October.
- Brooks, Robin & Del Negro, Marco, 2004.
"The rise in comovement across national stock markets: market integration or IT bubble?,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 659-680, December.
- Robin Brooks & Marco Del Negro, 2002. "The rise in comovement across national stock markets: market integration or IT bubble?," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2002-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Kpate ADJAOUTÉ & Jean-Pierre DANTHINE, 2003. "European Financial Integration and Equity Returns: A Theory-Based Assessment," FAME Research Paper Series rp84, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Kpate Adjaoute & Jean-Pierre Danthine, 2004. "Portfolio diversification: alive and well in Euro-land!," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(17), pages 1225-1231.
- Adjaoute, K. & Danthine, J.P., 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and well In Euroland," Papers 32, Manitoba - Department of Economics.
- Adjaoute, Kpate & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and Well in Euroland!," CEPR Discussion Papers 3086, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kpaté ADJAOUTE & Jean-Pierre DANTHINE, 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and Well in Euroland!," FAME Research Paper Series rp32, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Kpate ADJAOUTE & Jean-Pierre DANTHINE, 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and well in Euroland !," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 01.08, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Gikas A. Hardouvelis & Dimitrios Malliaropulos & Richard Priestley, 2006. "EMU and European Stock Market Integration," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(1), pages 365-392, January.
- Hardouvelis, Gikas A & Malliaropoulos, Dimitrios & Priestley, Richard, 1999. "EMU and European Stock Market Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 2124, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dusan Isakov & Frédéric Sonney, 2004. "Are Practitioners Right? On the Relative Importance of Industrial Factors in International Stock Returns," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(III), pages 355-379, September.
- Dušan Isakov & Frédéric Sonney, 2003. "Are practitioners right? On the relative importance of industrial factors in international stock returns," FAME Research Paper Series rp72, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 1997. "Emerging equity market volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 29-77, January.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1995. "Emerging Equity Market Volatility," NBER Working Papers 5307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Bronwyn H. Hall & Robert E. Hall & Jerry A. Hausman, 1974. "Estimation and Inference in Nonlinear Structural Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 653-665 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baele, Lieven, 2005. "Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(02), pages 373-401, June.
- L. Baele, 2003. "Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/189, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Baele, L., 2003. "Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets," Discussion Paper 2003-114, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Angela Ng, 2005. "Market Integration and Contagion," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 39-70, January.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 2003. "Market Integration and Contagion," NBER Working Papers 9510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ng, Angela, 2000. "Volatility spillover effects from Japan and the US to the Pacific-Basin," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 207-233, April.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Moerman, Gerard A., 2008. "Diversification in euro area stock markets: Country versus industry," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1122-1134, November.
- Roll, Richard, 1992. " Industrial Structure and the Comparative Behavior of International Stock Market Indices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 3-41, March.
- Charlotte Christiansen, 2007. "Volatility-Spillover Effects in European Bond Markets," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(5), pages 923-948.
- Balli, Faruk & Basher, Syed Abul & Ozer-Balli, Hatice, 2010. "From home bias to Euro bias: Disentangling the effects of monetary union on the European financial markets," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 62(5), pages 347-366, September.
- Balli, Faruk & Basher, Syed Abul & Ozer-Balli, Hatice, 2010. "From Home Bias to Euro Bias: Disentangling the Effects of Monetary Union on the European Financial Markets," MPRA Paper 22430, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Philip Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2005. "The International Equity Holdings of Euro Area Investors," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp104, IIIS.
- Thomas Kraus, 2001. "The Impact of the EMUon the Structure of European Equity Returns; An Empirical Analysis of the First 21 Months," IMF Working Papers 01/84, .
- Jobson, J D & Korkie, Bob M, 1981. "Performance Hypothesis Testing with the Sharpe and Treynor Measures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 889-908, September.
- Heston, Steven L. & Rouwenhorst, K. Geert, 1994. "Does industrial structure explain the benefits of international diversification?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-27, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)