Determinants of women entrepreneurs' firm performance in a hostile environment
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Franz Kellermanns & Kimberly Eddleston & Ravi Sarathy & Fran Murphy, 2012. "Innovativeness in family firms: a family influence perspective," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 85-101, January.
- Aldrich, Howard E. & Cliff, Jennifer E., 2003. "The pervasive effects of family on entrepreneurship: toward a family embeddedness perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 573-596, September.
- Jean-Philippe Berrou & François Combarnous, 2012.
"The Personal Networks of Entrepreneurs in an Informal African Urban Economy: Does the ‘Strength of Ties’ Matter?,"
Review of Social Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 70(1), pages 1-30, July.
- François Combarnous & Jean-Philippe Berrou, 2012. "The personal networks of entrepreneurs in an informal African urban economy: does the "strength of ties" matter?," Post-Print hal-00681277, HAL.
- Kimberly A. Eddleston & Franz Willi Kellermanns & Ravi Sarathy, 2008. "Resource Configuration in Family Firms: Linking Resources, Strategic Planning and Technological Opportunities to Performance," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 26-50, January.
- Virginie Vial, 2011. "Micro-entrepreneurship in a hostile environment: evidence from Indonesia," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(2), pages 233-262.
- Lin-Ching Hsu & Hae-Ching Chang, 2011. "The Role of Behavioral Strategic Controls in Family Firm Innovation," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(7), pages 709-727, October.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:16:y:2010:i:4:p:371-387 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hatak, Isabella & Kautonen, Teemu & Fink, Matthias & Kansikas, Juha, 2016. "Innovativeness and family-firm performance: The moderating effect of family commitment," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 120-131.
- Cooper, David J. & Saral, Krista Jabs, 2013.
"Entrepreneurship and team participation: An experimental study,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 126-140.
- Cooper, David J. & Saral, Krista Jabs, 2010. "Entrepreneurship and Team Participation: An Experimental Study," MPRA Paper 25144, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Villalonga, Belen & Amit, Raphael, 2006. "How do family ownership, control and management affect firm value?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 385-417, May.
- Karkoulian, Silva & Srour, Jordan & Sinan, Tala, 2016. "A gender perspective on work-life balance, perceived stress, and locus of control," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(11), pages 4918-4923.
- Mas-Tur, Alicia & Pinazo, Pablo & Tur-Porcar, Ana María & Sánchez-Masferrer, Manuel, 2015. "What to avoid to succeed as an entrepreneur," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 68(11), pages 2279-2284.
- Gary Akehurst & Enrique Simarro & Alicia Mas‐Tur, 2012. "Women entrepreneurship in small service firms: motivations, barriers and performance," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(15), pages 2489-2505, January.
- Saul Estrin & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2011. "Institutions and female entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 397-415, November.
- Kim, Y. & Gao, F.Y., 2013. "Does family involvement increase business performance? Family-longevity goals’ moderating role in Chinese family firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 265-274.
- Bruderl, Josef & Preisendorfer, Peter, 1998. "Network Support and the Success of Newly Founded Businesses," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 213-225, May.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- S. Brana, 2013.
"Microcredit: an answer to the gender problem in funding?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Sophie Brana, 2008. "Microcredit: an answer to the gender problem in funding?," Working Papers hal-00740098, HAL.
- Sophie Brana, 2010. "Microcredit: an answer to the gender problem in funding?," Larefi Working Papers 1008, Larefi, Université Bordeaux 4.
- Staniewski, Marcin W. & Janowski, Konrad & Awruk, Katarzyna, 2016. "Entrepreneurial personality dispositions and selected indicators of company functioning," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 1939-1943.
- Welsh, Dianne H.B. & Memili, Esra & Kaciak, Eugene & Al Sadoon, Aliyah, 2014. "Saudi women entrepreneurs: A growing economic segment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 758-762.
- Hayfaa A. Tlaiss, 2014. "Womenâ€™s Entrepreneurship, Barriers and Culture: Insights from the United Arab Emirates," The Journal of Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India, vol. 23(2), pages 289-320, September.
- Hoang, Ha & Antoncic, Bostjan, 2003. "Network-based research in entrepreneurship: A critical review," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 165-187, March.
- Edelman, Linda F. & Manolova, Tatiana & Shirokova, Galina & Tsukanova, Tatyana, 2016. "The impact of family support on young entrepreneurs' start-up activities," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 428-448.
- De Clercq, Dirk & Danis, Wade M. & Dakhli, Mourad, 2010. "The moderating effect of institutional context on the relationship between associational activity and new business activity in emerging economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 85-101, February.
- Thomas Lans & Vincent Blok & Judith Gulikers, 2015. "Show me your network and I'll tell you who you are: social competence and social capital of early-stage entrepreneurs," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(7-8), pages 458-473, August.
- Saridakis, George & Marlow, Susan & Storey, David J., 2014. "Do different factors explain male and female self-employment rates?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 345-362.
- Pinazo-Dallenbach, Pablo & Mas-Tur, Alicia & Lloria, Begoña, 2016. "Using high-potential firms as the key to achieving territorial development," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 1412-1417.
- De Vita, Luisa & Mari, Michela & Poggesi, Sara, 2014. "Women entrepreneurs in and from developing countries: Evidences from the literature," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 451-460.
- Robert D. Hisrich & Kimberly Bowser & Larysa Szana Smarsh, 2006. "Women entrepreneurs in the Ukraine," International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(2), pages 207-221.
- Nicholas Apergis & Victoria Pekka-Economou, 2010. "Incentives and Female Entrepreneurial Activity: Evidence from Panel Firm Level Data," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 16(4), pages 371-387, November.
- Daphne Halkias & Chinedum Nwajiuba & Nicholas Harkiolakis & Sylva M. Caracatsanis, 2011. "Challenges facing women entrepreneurs in Nigeria," Management Research Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 221-235, January.
- Chrisman, James J. & Chua, Jess H. & Litz, Reginald, 2003. "A unified systems perspective of family firm performance: an extension and integration," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 467-472, July.
- Susan Hanson & Megan Blake, 2009. "Gender and Entrepreneurial Networks," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(1), pages 135-149.
- Hampel-Milagrosa, Aimée & Loewe, Markus & Reeg, Caroline, 2015. "The Entrepreneur Makes a Difference: Evidence on MSE Upgrading Factors from Egypt, India, and the Philippines," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 118-130.
- Katalin Takacs Haynes & Michael A. Hitt & Joanna Tochman Campbell, 2015. "The Dark Side of Leadership: Towards a Mid-Range Theory of Hubris and Greed in Entrepreneurial Contexts," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 479-505, June.
- Powell, Gary N. & Eddleston, Kimberly A., 2013. "Linking family-to-business enrichment and support to entrepreneurial success: Do female and male entrepreneurs experience different outcomes?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 261-280.
- Lerner, Miri & Haber, Sigal, 2001. "Performance factors of small tourism ventures: The interface of tourism, entrepreneurship and the environment," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 77-100, January.
- Ronald C. Anderson & David M. Reeb, 2003. "Founding-Family Ownership and Firm Performance: Evidence from the S&P 500," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1301-1327, June.
- Chowdhury, Sanjib & Schulz, Eric & Milner, Morgan & Van De Voort, David, 2014. "Core employee based human capital and revenue productivity in small firms: An empirical investigation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(11), pages 2473-2479.
- Rey-Martí, Andrea & Tur Porcar, Ana & Mas-Tur, Alicia, 2015. "Linking female entrepreneurs' motivation to business survival," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 68(4), pages 810-814.
- Hsu, Dan K. & Wiklund, Johan & Anderson, Stella E. & Coffey, Betty S., 2016. "Entrepreneurial exit intentions and the business-family interface," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 613-627.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Gaur, Ajai S. & Kumar, Vikas & Singh, Deeksha, 2014. "Institutions, resources, and internationalization of emerging economy firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 12-20.
- Oswald Jones & Dilani Jayawarna, 2010. "Resourcing new businesses: social networks, bootstrapping and firm performance," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 127-152, January.
- Dilek Cetindamar & Vishal Gupta & Esra Karadeniz & Nilufer Egrican, 2012. "What the numbers tell: The impact of human, family and financial capital on women and men's entry into entrepreneurship in Turkey," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(1-2), pages 29-51.
- Nancy Carter & Candida Brush & Patricia Greene & Elizabeth Gatewood & Myra Hart, 2003. "Women entrepreneurs who break through to equity financing: The influence of human, social and financial capital," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Wade M Danis & Dan S Chiaburu & Marjorie A Lyles, 2010. "The impact of managerial networking intensity and market-based strategies on firm growth during institutional upheaval: A study of small and medium-sized enterprises in a transition economy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 41(2), pages 287-307, February.
- Bullough, Amanda & Renko, Maija, 2013. "Entrepreneurial resilience during challenging times," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 343-350.
- Meyer, Klaus E. & Estrin, Saul & Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Peng, Mike W., 2009. "Institutions, resources and entry strategies in emerging economies," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4217, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Olson, Patricia D. & Zuiker, Virginia S. & Danes, Sharon M. & Stafford, Kathryn & Heck, Ramona K. Z. & Duncan, Karen A., 2003. "The impact of the family and the business on family business sustainability," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 639-666, September.
- Shepherd, Dean A. & Wiklund, Johan & Haynie, J. Michael, 2009. "Moving forward: Balancing the financial and emotional costs of business failure," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 134-148, March.
- repec:wsi:jdexxx:v:19:y:2014:i:03:n:s1084946714500186 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bat Batjargal, 2013. "Institutional Polycentrism, Entrepreneurs??? Social Networks, And New Venture Growth," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1060, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ayala, Juan-Carlos & Manzano, Guadalupe, 2014. "The resilience of the entrepreneur. Influence on the success of the business. A longitudinal analysis," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 126-135.
- Sophia Rabe-Hesketh & Anders Skrondal & Andrew Pickles, 2004. "Generalized multilevel structural equation modeling," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 167-190, June.
- Zaefarian, Reza & Eng, Teck-Yong & Tasavori, Misagh, 2016. "An exploratory study of international opportunity identification among family firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 333-345.
- Ritchie, Holly A., 2016. "Unwrapping Institutional Change in Fragile Settings: Women Entrepreneurs Driving Institutional Pathways in Afghanistan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 39-53.
- Lofstrom, Magnus & Bates, Timothy & Parker, Simon C., 2014. "Why are some people more likely to become small-businesses owners than others: Entrepreneurship entry and industry-specific barriers," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 232-251.
More about this item
KeywordsFemale entrepreneurship; Woman entrepreneur; Firm performance; Hostile environment; Egypt;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:88:y:2018:i:c:p:481-491. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.