Does family involvement increase business performance? Family-longevity goals’ moderating role in Chinese family firms
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- repec:bla:joares:v:36:y:1998:i::p:1-35 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-325, June.
- Villalonga, Belen & Amit, Raphael, 2006. "How do family ownership, control and management affect firm value?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 385-417, May.
- David A Ralston & David H Holt & Robert H Terpstra & Yu Kai-Cheng, 2008. "The impact of national culture and economic ideology on managerial work values: a study of the United States, Russia, Japan, and China," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 39(1), pages 8-26, January.
- Aki Kangasharju, 2002. "The Role of Education in Self-Employment Success in Finland," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 216-237.
- Steier, Lloyd, 2003. "Variants of agency contracts in family-financed ventures as a continuum of familial altruistic and market rationalities," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 597-618, September.
- Danes, Sharon M. & Stafford, Kathryn & Loy, Johnben Teik-Cheok, 2007. "Family business performance: The effects of gender and management," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(10), pages 1058-1069, October.
- John Knight & Linda Yueh, 2009. "Segmentation or competition in China's urban labour market?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(1), pages 79-94, January.
- Jones, Derek C. & Li, Cheng & Owen, Ann L., 2003.
"Growth and regional inequality in China during the reform era,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 186-200.
- Derek C. Jones & Cheng Li & Ann L. Owen, 2003. "Growth and Regional Inequality in China During the Reform Era," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-561, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Chrisman, James J. & Chua, Jess H. & Litz, Reginald, 2003. "A unified systems perspective of family firm performance: an extension and integration," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 467-472, July.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation," Scholarly Articles 29407535, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Igor Filatotchev & Yung-Chih Lien & Jenifer Piesse, 2005. "Corporate Governance and Performance in Publicly Listed, Family-Controlled Firms: Evidence from Taiwan," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 257-283, September.
- Chrisman, James J. & Chua, Jess H. & Kellermanns, Franz W. & Chang, Erick P.C., 2007. "Are family managers agents or stewards? An exploratory study in privately held family firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(10), pages 1030-1038, October.
- Schulze, William S. & Lubatkin, Michael H. & Dino, Richard N., 2003. "Toward a theory of agency and altruism in family firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 473-490, July.
- Margaret A. Peteraf & Jay B. Barney, 2003. "Unraveling the resource-based tangle," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 309-323.
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Hanks, Steven H., 1993. "Measuring the performance of emerging businesses: A validation study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 391-408, September.
- Aki Kangasharju & Sari Pekkala, 2001. "The Role of Education in Self-Employment Success," Studies in Economics 0116, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Lex Donaldson & James H. Davis, 1991. "Stewardship Theory or Agency Theory: CEO Governance and Shareholder Returns," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 16(1), pages 49-64, June.
- Wenyi Chu, 2011. "Family ownership and firm performance: Influence of family management, family control, and firm size," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 833-851, December.
- Po Ip, 2009. "Is Confucianism Good for Business Ethics in China?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 88(3), pages 463-476, September.
- William S. Schulze & Michael H. Lubatkin & Richard N. Dino, 2002. "Altruism, agency, and the competitiveness of family firms," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4-5), pages 247-259.
- Leenders, Mark & Waarts, Eric, 2003. "Competitiveness and Evolution of Family Businesses:: The Role of Family and Business Orientation," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 686-697, December.
- Roy, Abhik & Walters, Peter G. P. & Luk, Sherriff T. K., 2001. "Chinese puzzles and paradoxes: conducting business research in China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 203-210, May.
- Habbershon, Timothy G. & Williams, Mary & MacMillan, Ian C., 2003. "A unified systems perspective of family firm performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 451-465, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Volkan Yeniaras & Pinar Sener & Suheyl Unver, 0. "Is market learning the missing link between family involvement – firm performance relationship? A resource-based perspective," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 0, pages 1-30.
- Herrera-Echeverri, Hernán & Geleilate, Jose Galli & Gaitan-Riaño, Sandra & Haar, Jerry & Soto-Echeverry, Nidia, 2016.
"Export behavior and board independence in Colombian family firms: The reverse causality relationship,"
Journal of Business Research,
Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 2018-2029.
- Hernan Herrera-Echeverri & Jose Galli Geleilate & Sandra Gaitan-Riaño & Jerry Haar & Nidia Soto-Echeverry, 2016. "Export Behavior and Board Independence in Colombian Family Firms: The Reverse Causality Relationship," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF 014971, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- repec:eee:fambus:v:8:y:2017:i:3:p:157-169 is not listed on IDEAS
- Basly Sami, 2015. "Family Involvement in the Firm and Exports in the Family SME: Is the Manager’s International Orientation Influential?," Journal of Intercultural Management, Sciendo, vol. 7(3), pages 69-99, September.
- repec:spr:grdene:v:27:y:2018:i:3:d:10.1007_s10726-017-9544-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:jbrese:v:89:y:2018:i:c:p:121-134 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bodolica, Virginia & Spraggon, Martin & Zaidi, Sahar, 2015. "Boundary management strategies for governing family firms: A UAE-based case study," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 684-693.
- Madanoglu, Melih & Altinay, Levent & Wang, Xuan (Lorna), 2016. "Disentangling the effect of family involvement on innovativeness and risk taking: The role of decentralization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 1796-1800.
- repec:eee:corfin:v:44:y:2017:i:c:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:mup:actaun:actaun_2017065051695 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:intemj:v:13:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s11365-016-0417-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kashmiri, Saim & Brower, Jacob, 2016. "Oops! I did it again: Effect of corporate governance and top management team characteristics on the likelihood of product-harm crises," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 621-630.
- González-Cruz, Tomás F. & Cruz-Ros, Sonia, 2016. "When does family involvement produce superior performance in SME family business?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 1452-1457.
- repec:kap:jinten:v:15:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s10843-017-0209-0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Choi, Young Rok & Zahra, Shaker A. & Yoshikawa, Toru & Han, Bong H., 2015. "Family ownership and R&D investment: The role of growth opportunities and business group membership," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1053-1061.
- repec:eee:jbrese:v:88:y:2018:i:c:p:481-491 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:jfr:ijba11:v:8:y:2017:i:5:p:11-27 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsFamily involvement in management; Business performance; Family-longevity goals; Family firms; China;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:66:y:2013:i:2:p:265-274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.