Optimal forecasting of noncausal autoregressive time series
In this paper, we propose a simulation-based method for computing point and density forecasts for univariate noncausal and non-Gaussian autoregressive processes. Numerical methods are needed for forecasting such time series because the prediction problem is generally nonlinear and therefore no analytic solution is available. According to a limited simulation experiment, the use of a correct noncausal model can lead to substantial gains in forecast accuracy over the corresponding causal model. An empirical application to US inflation demonstrates the importance of allowing for noncausality in improving point and density forecasts.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2010.
"Noncausal Vector Autoregression,"
23717, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2008.
"Phillips Curve Inflation Forecasts,"
NBER Working Papers
14322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2010.
"Noncausal autoregressions for economic time series,"
32943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lanne Markku & Saikkonen Pentti, 2011. "Noncausal Autoregressions for Economic Time Series," Journal of Time Series Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(3), pages 1-32, October.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:att:wimass:9417 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kenneth D. West, 1994.
"Asymptotic Inference About Predictive Ability,"
- Clements, Michael P & Smith, Jeremy, 1996.
"A Monte Carlo Study of the Forecasting Performance of Empirical Setar Models,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
464, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Michael P & Smith, Jeremy, 1999. "A Monte Carlo Study of the Forecasting Performance of Empirical SETAR Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 123-41, March-Apr.
- Jonas D. M. Fisher & Chin Te Liu & Ruilin Zhou, 2002. "When can we forecast inflation?," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q I, pages 32-44.
- Jian Huang, 2000. "Quasi-likelihood Estimation of Non-invertible Moving Average Processes," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(4), pages 689-702.
- Breid, F. Jay & Davis, Richard A. & Lh, Keh-Shin & Rosenblatt, Murray, 1991. "Maximum likelihood estimation for noncausal autoregressive processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 175-198, February.
- Lanne, Markku & Luoto, Jani, 2010.
"Has U.S. Inflation Really Become Harder to Forecast?,"
29992, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lanne, Markku & Luoto, Jani, 2012. "Has US inflation really become harder to forecast?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 383-386.
- Lanne, Markku & Nyberg, Henri & Saarinen, Erkka, 2011. "Forecasting U.S. Macroeconomic and Financial Time Series with Noncausal and Causal AR Models: A Comparison," MPRA Paper 30254, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2006.
"Predictive Density Evaluation,"
Handbook of Economic Forecasting,
- Valentina Corradi & Norman Swanson, 2006. "Predictive Density Evaluation. Revised," Departmental Working Papers 200621, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2008.
"Modeling Expectations with Noncausal Autoregressions,"
8411, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Markku Lanne & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Modeling Expectations with Noncausal Autoregressions," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/20, European University Institute.
- Andrews, Beth & Davis, Richard A. & Jay Breidt, F., 2006. "Maximum likelihood estimation for all-pass time series models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(7), pages 1638-1659, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfor:v:28:y:2012:i:3:p:623-631. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.