Has U.S. Inflation Really Become Harder to Forecast?
Recently Stock and Watson (2007) showed that since the mid-1980s it has been hard for backward-looking Phillips curve models to improve on simple univariate models in forecasting U.S. inflation. While this indeed is the case when the benchmark is a causal autoregression, little change in forecast accuracy is detected when a noncausal autoregression is taken as the benchmark. In this note, we argue that a noncausal autoregression indeed provides a better characterization of U.S. inflation dynamics than the conventional causal autoregression and it is, therefore, the appropriate univariate benchmark model.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lanne, Markku & Luoto, Jani & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2010.
"Optimal Forecasting of Noncausal Autoregressive Time Series,"
23648, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lanne, Markku & Luoto, Jani & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2012. "Optimal forecasting of noncausal autoregressive time series," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 623-631.
- Andrew Atkeson & Lee E. Ohanian., 2001. "Are Phillips curves useful for forecasting inflation?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 2-11.
- Markku Lanne & Arto Luoma & Jani Luoto, 2012.
"Bayesian Model Selection And Forecasting In Noncausal Autoregressive Models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(5), pages 812-830, 08.
- Lanne, Markku & Luoma, Arto & Luoto, Jani, 2009. "Bayesian Model Selection and Forecasting in Noncausal Autoregressive Models," MPRA Paper 23646, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2008.
"Modeling Expectations with Noncausal Autoregressions,"
8411, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Markku Lanne & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Modeling Expectations with Noncausal Autoregressions," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/20, European University Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29992. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.