Formulation of public debt management strategies: An empirical study of possible drivers
A well-designed public debt management strategy can help countries reduce their borrowing cost, contain financial risks and develop their domestic markets. Using survey data on debt management strategies, this paper studies whether the probability that a country has a formal debt management strategy, publishes the strategy document, and uses quantitative benchmarks to formulate its debt management strategy is affected by democratic accountability, institutional quality, past debt crises/defaults, official development assistance, and participation in debt management programs. We find that countries located in Latin America and the Caribbean are less likely to have developed a debt management strategy and, if they have, are less likely to publish it. In contrast, countries located in the Middle East and North Africa are less likely to use quantitative benchmarks in the formulation of their debt management strategies. A country is more likely to have developed a debt management strategy if it has the experience of a past debt crisis, but not of repeated debt crises. Institutional quality and democratic accountability could significantly contribute to the emergence of more transparent and accountable debt management strategies in developing countries. IFIs’ technical assistance on public debt management could be enhanced by IFIs conducting their own, prior diagnostic reviews.
Volume (Year): 36 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49-(0)941-943 54 10
Fax: +49-(0)941-943 54 27
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/621171
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John B. Taylor & John C. Williams, 2010.
"Simple and Robust Rules for Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
15908, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldfajn, Ilan, 2000.
"Public Debt Indexation and Denomination: The Case of Brazil,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 43-56, February.
- Ilan Goldfajn, 1998. "Public Debt Indexation and Denomination; The Case of Brazil," IMF Working Papers 98/18, International Monetary Fund.
- Ilan Goldfajn, 1998. "Public Debt Indexation and Denomination: The Case of Brazil," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 27, Central Bank of Chile.
- Elisa Faraglia & Albert Marcet & Andrew Scott, 2008.
"Fiscal Insurance and Debt Management in OECD Economies,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(527), pages 363-386, 03.
- Elisa Faraglia & Albert Marcet & Andrew Scott, 2007. "Fiscal Insurance and Debt Management in OECD Economies," Working Papers 333, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Faraglia, Elisa & Marcet, Albert & Scott, Andrew, 2007. "Fiscal Insurance and Debt Management in OECD Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 6539, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Albert Marcet & Elisa Faraglia & Andrew Scott, 2007. "Fiscal Insurance and Debt Management in OECD Economies," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 729.08, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jensen, Svend Erik Hougaard & Jensen, Lars Grue, 1995. "Debt, deficits and transition to EMU: A small country analysis," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 3-25, March.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Paolo Mauro, 2004. "The case for GDP-indexed bonds," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 19(38), pages 165-216, 04.
- Ales MELECKY & Martin MACHACEK, 2010. "The Role Of National And Supranational Fiscal Rules - International Evidence And Situation In The Czech Republic," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 5(4(14)/ Wi), pages 375-382.
- Togo, Eriko, 2007. "Coordinating public debt management with fiscal and monetary policies : an analytical framework," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4369, The World Bank.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Stokey, Nancy L., 1983.
"Optimal fiscal and monetary policy in an economy without capital,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 55-93.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1982. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in an Economy Without Capital," Discussion Papers 532, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Alessandro Missale, 2004.
"Public Debt Management in Brazil,"
NBER Working Papers
10394, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alessandro Missale & Francesco Giavazzi, 2003. "Public Debt Management in Brazil," Development Working Papers 178, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Missale, Alessandro, 2004. "Public Debt Management in Brazil," CEPR Discussion Papers 4293, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises; A New Database," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
- H. Lloyd-Ellis & Xiaodong Zhu, 1998.
"Fiscal Shocks and Fiscal Risk Management,"
lloydell-98-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Juan Pablo Nicolini & Francisco Buera, 2002.
"Optimal Maturity of Governement Debt without state contingent bonds,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
016, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Buera, Francisco & Nicolini, Juan Pablo, 2004. "Optimal maturity of government debt without state contingent bonds," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 531-554, April.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Neil Wallace, 1981. "Some unpleasant monetarist arithmetic," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall.
- Bohn, Henning, 1990. "Tax Smoothing with Financial Instruments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1217-30, December.
- Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Lewis, John, 2007. "Debt, deficits, and the accession of the new member States to the Euro," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 316-337, June.
- Robert J. Barro, 1984. "Rules versus Discretion," NBER Working Papers 1473, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graeme Wheeler, 2004. "Sound Practice in Government Debt Management," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15017, June.
- Missale, Alessandro, 1999. "Public Debt Management," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290858, March.
- Bohn, Henning, 1990.
"A positive theory of foreign currency debt,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 273-292, November.
- Henning Bohn, . "A Positive Theory of Foreign Currency Debt," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 19-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- David Jamieson Bolder, 2003. "A Stochastic Simulation Framework for the Government of Canada's Debt Strategy," Working Papers 03-10, Bank of Canada.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973, March.
- George-Marios Angeletos, 2002. "Fiscal Policy With Noncontingent Debt And The Optimal Maturity Structure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(3), pages 1105-1131, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecosys:v:36:y:2012:i:2:p:218-234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.