Coordinating public debt management with fiscal and monetary policies : an analytical framework
This paper proposes a sovereign asset and liability management framework for analyzing the inter-relationships between debt management, fiscal and monetary policies. It illustrates the consequences of uncoordinated policy mix and extends Sargent and Wallace (1981 and 1993) by including debt management. Examples of policy games played by fiscal, monetary, and debt management authorities reinforce the importance of policy separation and coordination to prevent domination by one authority over another which could lead to inconsistent policy mix.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Vegh, Carlos, 2004.
"When it rains, it pours: Procyclical capital flows and macroeconomic policies,"
13883, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart & Carlos A. Végh, 2005. "When It Rains, It Pours: Procyclical Capital Flows and Macroeconomic Policies," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2004, Volume 19, pages 11-82 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart & Carlos A. Vegh, 2004. "When it Rains, it Pours: Procyclical Capital Flows and Macroeconomic Policies," NBER Working Papers 10780, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henning Bohn, .
"The Sustainability of Budget Deficits with Lump-Sum and with Income-Based Taxation,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
17-90, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Henning Bohn, 1991. "The sustainability of budget deficits with lump-sum and with income-based taxation," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 580-612.
- Bohn, Henning, 1991. "The Sustainability of Budget Deficits with Lump-Sum and with Income-Based Taxation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(3), pages 580-604, August.
- Bohn, H., 1990. "The Substainability Of Budget Deficits With Lump-Sum And With Income-Based Taxation," Weiss Center Working Papers 17-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Alessandro Missale & Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1991.
"The Debt Burden and Debt Maturity,"
NBER Working Papers
3944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Missale, Alessandro, 1997. " Managing the Public Debt: The Optimal Taxation Approach," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 235-65, September.
- Robert J. Barro, 1999. "Notes on Optimal Debt Management," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 281-289, November.
- Graeme Wheeler, 2004. "Sound Practice in Government Debt Management," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15017, September.
- Dooley, Michael P., 2000. "Debt management and crisis in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 45-58, October.
- Bohn, H., 1990.
"The Sutainability Of Budget Deficits In A Stochastic Economy,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
6-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Bohn, Henning, 1995. "The Sustainability of Budget Deficits in a Stochastic Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 257-71, February.
- Joshua Aizenman & Kenneth M. Kletzer & Brian Pinto, 2005.
"Sargent-Wallace meets Krugman-Flood-Garber, or: why sovereign debt swaps do not avert macroeconomic crises,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(503), pages 343-367, 04.
- Joshua Aizenman & Kenneth M. Kletzer & Brian Pinto, 2002. "Sargent-Wallace Meets Krugman-Flood-Garber, or: Why Sovereign Debt Swaps Don't Avert Macroeconomic Crises," NBER Working Papers 9190, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1982. "Issues in the Coordination of Monetary and Fiscal Policy," NBER Working Papers 0982, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernesto Talvi & Carlos A. Vegh, 2000. "Tax Base Variability and Procyclical Fiscal Policy," NBER Working Papers 7499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:4369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.