The Effect of Institutions, Geography, Development Assistance and Debt Crises on Public-Debt Management
Using survey data on debt management strategies, this paper studies whether the probability that a country has a debt management strategy, publishes its debt strategy, and uses a benchmark-based strategy is affected by democratic accountability, institutional quality, past debt crises/defaults, IFIs development assistance, and participation in debt management programs. We find that countries located in Latin America and Caribbean are less likely to have developed a debt management strategy and, if they have, they are less likely to publish it. In contrast, countries located in Middle East and North Africa are less likely to use quantitative benchmarks in formulation of their debt management strategy. A country is more likely to have developed a debt management strategy if it has an experience of a past debt crisis, but not of repeated debt crises. Institutional quality and democratic accountability could significantly contribute to emergence of more transparent and accountable debt management strategies in developing countries. IFIs' technical assistance on public debt management could be enhanced by IFIs conducting their own, prior diagnostic reviews.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Togo, Eriko, 2007. "Coordinating public debt management with fiscal and monetary policies : an analytical framework," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4369, The World Bank.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Neil Wallace, 1981. "Some unpleasant monetarist arithmetic," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages -.
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises; A New Database," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Graeme Wheeler, 2004. "Sound Practice in Government Debt Management," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15017.
- Bohn, Henning, 1990. "Tax Smoothing with Financial Instruments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1217-1230, December.
- Missale, Alessandro, 1999. "Public Debt Management," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290858, December.
- Henning Bohn, "undated".
"A Positive Theory of Foreign Currency Debt,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
19-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gill, Indermit & Pinto, Brian, 2005. "Public debt in developing countries : has the market-based model worked?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3674, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16332. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.