Regression towards the mode
We propose a semi-parametric mode regression estimator for the case in which the dependent variable has a continuous conditional density with a well-defined global mode. The estimator is semi-parametric in that the conditional mode is specified as a parametric function, but only mild assumptions are made about the nature of the conditional density of interest. We show that the proposed estimator is consistent and has a tractable asymptotic distribution.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tristen Hayfield & Jeffrey S. Racine, . "Nonparametric Econometrics: The np Package," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(i05).
- Pedro S. Martins & Gary Solon & Jonathan Thomas, 2010.
"Measuring What Employers Really Do about Entry Wages over the Business Cycle,"
NBER Working Papers
15767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martins, Pedro S. & Solon, Gary & Thomas, Jonathan P., 2010. "Measuring What Employers Really Do about Entry Wages over the Business Cycle," IZA Discussion Papers 4757, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yingyao Hu & Susanne M. Schennach, 2008. "Instrumental Variable Treatment of Nonclassical Measurement Error Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 195-216, 01.
- Kemp, Gordon C.R. & Santos Silva, J.M.C., 2012.
"Regression towards the mode,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 92-101.
- Peter Hall & Jeff Racine & Qi Li, 2004. "Cross-Validation and the Estimation of Conditional Probability Densities," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 1015-1026, December.
- Morris, Stephen, 2007. "The impact of obesity on employment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 413-433, June.
- Chou, Shin-Yi & Grossman, Michael & Saffer, Henry, 2004.
"An economic analysis of adult obesity: results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 565-587, May.
- Shin-Yi Chou & Michael Grossman & Henry Saffer, 2002. "An Economic Analysis of Adult Obesity: Results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System," NBER Working Papers 9247, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, Myoung-jae, 1989. "Mode regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 337-349, November.
- Jonathan Temple, 1999. "The New Growth Evidence," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 112-156, March.
- Lee, M.J., 1990.
"Quadratic Mode Regression,"
9-90-10, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Morris, Stephen, 2006. "Body mass index and occupational attainment," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 347-364, March.
- John Bound & Alan B. Krueger, 1989.
"The Extent of Measurement Error In Longitudinal Earnings Data: Do Two Wrongs Make A Right?,"
NBER Working Papers
2885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bound, John & Krueger, Alan B, 1991. "The Extent of Measurement Error in Longitudinal Earnings Data: Do Two Wrongs Make a Right?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-31, May.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1996.
"Stochastic Equicontinuity for Unbounded Dependent Heterogeneous Arrays,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(02), pages 347-359, June.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1994. "Stochastic Equicontinuity for Unbounded Dependent Heterogeneous Arrays," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 295., Boston College Department of Economics.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:167:y::i:1:p:106-112 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Pedro Portugal, 2005. "Contractual Wages and the Wage Cushion under Different Bargaining Settings," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(4), pages 875-902, October.
- Jonathan R. W. Temple, 1998. "Robustness tests of the augmented Solow model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 361-375.
- John Cawley, 2004. "The Impact of Obesity on Wages," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(2).
- David M. Cutler & Edward L. Glaeser & Jesse M. Shapiro, 2003.
"Why Have Americans Become More Obese?,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1994, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Shapiro, Jesse & Glaeser, Edward & Cutler, David, 2003. "Why Have Americans Become More Obese," Scholarly Articles 2640583, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- David Cutler & Edward Glaeser & Jesse Shapiro, 2003. "Why Have Americans Become More Obese?," NBER Working Papers 9446, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chesher, Andrew & Peters, Simon, 1994. "Symmetry, Regression Design, and Sampling Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 116-129, March.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Markus Baldauf & J.M.C. Santos Silva, 2009.
"On the use of robust regression in econometrics,"
Economics Discussion Papers
664, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Oliver Linton & Myunghwan Seo, 2005.
"A smoothed least squares estimator for threshold regression models,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4434, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Seo, Myung Hwan & Linton, Oliver, 2007. "A smoothed least squares estimator for threshold regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 704-735, December.
- Ferraty, Frederic & Quintela-del-Río, Alejandro & Vieu, Philippe, 2012. "Specification Test For Conditional Distribution With Functional Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(02), pages 363-386, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521565110 is not listed on IDEAS
- M'hamed Ezzahrioui & Elias Ould Saïd, 2010. "Some asymptotic results of a non-parametric conditional mode estimator for functional time-series data," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 64(2), pages 171-201.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:170:y:2012:i:1:p:92-101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.