Evaluating the productivity gap between commercial and traditional beef production systems in Botswana
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Temoso, Omphile & Hadley, David & Villano, Renato, 2016. "Evaluating the productivity gap between commercial and traditional beef production systems in Botswana," 2016 Conference (60th), February 2-5, 2016, Canberra, Australia 235522, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
References listed on IDEAS
- Migot-Adholla, Shem, et al, 1991. "Indigenous Land Rights Systems in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Constraint on Productivity?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(1), pages 155-175, January.
- Cortez-Arriola, José & Groot, Jeroen C.J. & Améndola Massiotti, Ricardo D. & Scholberg, Johannes M.S. & Valentina Mariscal Aguayo, D. & Tittonell, Pablo & Rossing, Walter A.H., 2014. "Resource use efficiency and farm productivity gaps of smallholder dairy farming in North-west Michoacán, Mexico," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 126(C), pages 15-24.
- Belen Iraizoz & Isabel Bardaji & Manuel Rapun, 2005. "The Spanish beef sector in the 1990s: impact of the BSE crisis on efficiency and profitability," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 473-484.
- Mahabile, M & Lyne, M & Panin, A, 2002. "Factors Affecting The Productivity Of Communal And Private Livestock Farmers In Southern Botswana: A Descriptive Analysis Of Sample Survey Results," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 0(Issue 4).
- Mahabile, M. & Lyne, Michael C. & Panin, A., 2005. "An empirical analysis of factors affecting the productivity of livestock in southern Botswana," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 0(Issue 1), pages 1-19, March.
- Xavier Irz & Colin Thirtle, 2004. "Dual Technological Development in Botswana Agriculture: A Stochastic Input Distance Function Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 455-478.
- George Battese & D. Rao & Christopher O'Donnell, 2004. "A Metafrontier Production Function for Estimation of Technical Efficiencies and Technology Gaps for Firms Operating Under Different Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-103, January.
- Henderson, B. & Godde, C. & Medina-Hidalgo, D. & van Wijk, M. & Silvestri, S. & Douxchamps, S. & Stephenson, E. & Power, B. & Rigolot, C. & Cacho, O. & Herrero, M., 2016. "Closing system-wide yield gaps to increase food production and mitigate GHGs among mixed crop–livestock smallholders in Sub-Saharan Africa," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 143(C), pages 106-113.
- Patrick Malope & Nnyaladzi Batisani, 2008. "Land reforms that exclude the poor: the case of Botswana," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 383-397.
- S. Samarajeewa & G. Hailu & S. R. Jeffrey & M. Bredahl, 2012. "Analysis of production efficiency of beef cow/calf farms in Alberta," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(3), pages 313-322, January.
- Awudu Abdulai & Hendrik Tietje, 2007. "Estimating technical efficiency under unobserved heterogeneity with stochastic frontier models: application to northern German dairy farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(3), pages 393-416, September.
- de Ridder, N. & Wagenaar, K. T., 1986. "Energy and protein balances in traditional livestock systems and ranching in eastern Botswana," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-16.
- Behnke, Roy H., 1987. "Cattle accumulation and the commercialization of the traditional livestock industry in Botswana," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-29.
- Bahta, Sirak & Malope, Patrick, 2014. "Measurement of competitiveness in smallholder livestock systems and emerging policy advocacy: An application to Botswana," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(P2), pages 408-417.
- Tisdell, Clem, 1988. "Sustainable development: differing perspectives of ecologists and economists, and relevance to LDCs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 373-384, March.
- Wang, Tong & Park, Seong C. & Bevers, Stan & Teague, Richard & Cho, Jaesung, 2013. "Factors Affecting Cow-Calf Herd Performance and Greenhouse Gas Emissions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 1-22.
- Jonathan Barnes & James Cannon & James Macgregor, 2008. "Livestock production economics on communal land in Botswana: effects of tenure, scale and subsidies," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 327-345.
- Thirtle, Colin & Piesse, Jenifer & Lusigi, Angela & Suhariyanto, Kecuk, 2003. "Multi-factor agricultural productivity, efficiency and convergence in Botswana, 1981-1996," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 605-624, August.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Christopher O’Donnell & D. Rao & George Battese, 2008. "Metafrontier frameworks for the study of firm-level efficiencies and technology ratios," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 231-255, March.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-444, June.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Place, Frank, 2009. "Land Tenure and Agricultural Productivity in Africa: A Comparative Analysis of the Economics Literature and Recent Policy Strategies and Reforms," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1326-1336, August.
- Hansen, J. W., 1996. "Is agricultural sustainability a useful concept?," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 117-143.
- Behnke, Roy H., 1985. "Measuring the benefits of subsistence versus commercial livestock production in Africa," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 109-135.
- repec:ags:afjare:211667 is not listed on IDEAS
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bahta, S. & Temoso, O. & Mekonnen, D. & Malope, P. & Staal, S., 2018. "Technical efficiency of beef production in agricultural districts of Botswana: A Latent Class Stochastic Frontier Model Approach," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 277207, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
More about this item
KeywordsBeef production; Productivity; Technical efficiency; Stochastic metafrontier; Botswana;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agisys:v:149:y:2016:i:c:p:30-39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agsy .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.