The effect of emigration on unemployment: Evidence from the Central and Eastern European EU member states
This paper contributes to the scant empirical literature on the effects of emigration on source countries' labour markets. Using a novel dataset by Brücker et al. (2009), we find that emigration from the Central and Eastern European (CEE) members of EU during the period 2000 to 2007 has contributed significantly to the decline in unemployment in these countries.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Longhi, Simonetta & Nijkamp, Peter & Poot, Jacques, 2006.
"The Impact of Immigration on the Employment of Natives in Regional Labour Markets: A Meta-Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2044, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Longhi, Simonetta & Nijkamp, Peter & Poot, Jacques, 2006. "The impact of immigration on the employment of natives in regional labour markets: a meta-analysis," ISER Working Paper Series 2006-10, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- David Blanchflower & Jumana Saleheen & Chris Shadforth, 2007. "The impact of the recent migration from Eastern Europe on the UK economy," Discussion Papers 17, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Saleheen, Jumana & Shadforth, Chris, 2007. "The Impact of the Recent Migration from Eastern Europe on the UK Economy," IZA Discussion Papers 2615, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joseph G. Altonji & David Card, 1991. "The Effects of Immigration on the Labor Market Outcomes of Less-skilled Natives," NBER Chapters,in: Immigration, Trade, and the Labor Market, pages 201-234 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph Altonji & David Card, 1989. "The Effects of Immigration on the Labor Market Outcome of Less-Skilled Natives," Working Papers 636, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Ray Barrell & John Fitzgerald & Rebecca Riley, 2010. "EU Enlargement and Migration: Assessing the Macroeconomic Impacts," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48, pages 373-395, 03.
- Ray Barrell & John FitzGerald & Rebecca Riley, 2007. "EU Enlargement and Migration: Assessing the Macroeconomic Impacts," Papers WP203, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Rebecca Riley & Ray Barrell, 2007. "EU enlargement and migration: Assessing the macroeconomic impacts," NIESR Discussion Papers 292, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Kahanec, Martin & Zaiceva, Anzelika & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2009. "Lessons from Migration after EU Enlargement," IZA Discussion Papers 4230, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian Dustmann & Francesca Fabbri & Ian Preston, 2005. "The Impact of Immigration on the UK Labour Market," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0501, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Mishra, Prachi, 2007. "Emigration and wages in source countries: Evidence from Mexico," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 180-199, January.
- Sara Lemos & Jonathan Portes, 2008. "New Labour? The Impact of Migration from Central and Eastern European Countries on the UK Labour Market," Discussion Papers in Economics 08/29, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Lemos, Sara & Portes, Jonathan, 2008. "New Labour? The Impact of Migration from Central and Eastern European Countries on the UK Labour Market," IZA Discussion Papers 3756, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Benjamin Elsner, 2013. "Does emigration benefit the stayers? Evidence from EU enlargement," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 531-553, April.
- Elsner, Benjamin, 2012. "Does Emigration Benefit the Stayers? Evidence from EU Enlargement," IZA Discussion Papers 6843, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Prachi Mishra, 2006. "Emigration and Wages in Source Countries; Evidence From Mexico," IMF Working Papers 06/86, International Monetary Fund.
- John M. Abowd & Richard B. Freeman, 1991. "Immigration, Trade, and the Labor Market," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number abow91-1. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)